Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Kill numbers

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by SnowHunter123, Jan 16, 2017.

1. SnowHunter123

SnowHunter123 New Member

what is a good number of snows to kill in a hunt or threw a whole conservation season in the midwest running traffic.

2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

That depends on the person. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to hunting snows. I've spent a fair amount of time hunting snows in the spring in Arkansas, South Dakota, and North Dakota. If my group shoots 10 or more in a day I consider it a good day.

leftyhunter likes this.
  3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I like hunting them in the fall. Lot easier to suck in those juvies to within 15 yds.

4. SnowHunter123

SnowHunter123 New Member

I just dident know how other people do day in and day out. Im trying to find out were are group stands as far as what is a good number on average days to see if we have amy room for improvment.

5. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

There's always room for improvement. We normally hunt 2-3 guys and up to 5 guys once or twice a season. Over the last 10 seasons, we have averaged about 30 birds/day. Some days might be 5 birds and other days might be 70. This is running all traffic. I'm there to watch them decoy in as close as possible and that is what I base successful days on. I'll take 5 birds at 10yds over shooting 30 at 30 yds anyday.

6. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

If you kill 8-10 per shooter per day you are doing good. Some years we do better some not. We were around those #'s last year with maybe 10 hunts. We set a traffic spread and never moved. If we hold late season juivies and stay on them our kill # sky rocket but getting a roost pond that doesn't get jumped around here is rare. Birds really have been screwy last few springs through our area. Mid day migrators have been non-exsitant where most years those are the best times.

Hopefully we get a real spring this year instead of going from winter to full blown summer. Juvie # are good so I expect if a guy spends a decent time in the spread he will have some success this year.

leftyhunter likes this.
  7. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

I would be happy if we did double digits the 3 to 5 days we freelanced

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

My best days in the spring are taking the birds coming off the roost lakes, , where they fly through a cut in the trees on their way to a field. I stand under them and pass shoot at close range and have great shoots without setting out a decoy.

leftyhunter likes this.
  9. NC Ducker

NC Ducker Senior Refuge Member

Anything over 20 and I'm satisfied.

10. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Any hunt under 100 is an abject failure. It's all about numbers. The experience means nothing, go for body count

leftyhunter likes this.