Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Kill numbers

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by SnowHunter123, Jan 16, 2017.

1. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

If we get to 10 birds per guy in a day we consider it a GREAT day! 5 or 6 per guy and we had a blast! It's always fun regardless, just less frustrating if you can pull the trigger a few times!

leftyhunter and Neck Collar like this.
  2. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

Hunting alone I want opportunities. 5+ opps is a great day for me. 2-3/day is average.

3. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

Haha yep right here. If we don't crank at least 100 150 every hunt, we are pissed.

But for real people who think the only time your are having a good snow goose hunt is when your reaching triple digits need to take a step back and wonder what they're actually hunting for. If its so you can post a picture on facebook or whatever social media based website and have a bunch of people think you're the man you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Scotty, jthomp01, leftyhunter and 2 others like this.
  4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I've averaged 5 birds per gun per day over the last 3 springs, 85% of the hunting has been traffic. Haven't had more than 5 guys in the field over the last 3 springs either. Typically 2-3, as the hide is a lot better. I'm an average at best snow goose hunter, and gave up caring about 80 bird shoots and chasing juvy feeds.

leftyhunter and Neck Collar like this.
  5. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Averages for birds per location involves a lot of variables. Chiefly, are you hunting the spot well before the prime of the migration has arrived, and long after bird numbers have dwindled. Some, like me do just because we like to be out there. And even running traffic, are you moving with the migration or staying in one spot. Easy to see that staying put in a permanent traffic spread will have more low kill days as the migration ebbs and flows.

Average kill per hunter is even more uncertain. It is a whole lot harder to maintain a high average per hunter over the course of a season especially staying in one spot in a permanent spread. There are just those slow days where you would shoot 10 whether there was one or two guys, or six or more!

In thinking about it over many years, and ball parking it, I would say that in our single location traffic spread, 90% of the time we shoot 10 or more; 50% of the time 20 or more, 25% of the time 30 or more; and 10% of the time 50 or more.

leftyhunter likes this.
  6. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

We hunt a total of about 20 days on our property. The number of hunters and good shooters can swing averages significantly but I would say any time we shoot double digits in both the morning and afternoon we are doing what I would expect (on average). in terms of a pure average I would say we probably shoot 15-20'ish per day. Just like Geez n Quackers I would allocate very similar to what he has shown above in terms of % of days shooting x. We do occasionally move earlier in the season to hilltops that we have permission on and will run traffic there as well. Have pretty much given up on chasing the x............changes too often and honestly just too damn much work for a bunch of weekend warriors. Day in and day out if we stick to our spot we will have good days. The stale fields thing does not make a lot of sense to me although I see a lot of people posting that stuff. The reality is if you are in a high traffic area (we are in NW Missouri) there is an constant ebb and flow of new/old birds. I honestly don't think a field gets stale. The flight line may not be over our particular field on any given day but in terms of birds getting stale on the same old setup I think that is just a bunch of crap. Now, if hunting with an outfitter and you are paying a pretty hefty fee maybe them moving under the flight lines day in and day out might make sense but more often than not even the best outfitters generally have there 3-7 setups and my guess is they just move you around based on wind conditions and flight lines they have observed.

Good luck all. Only 30 days until we set our white spread!!!!!!

leftyhunter likes this.
  7. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Last year, we averaged 9 birds per hunt which consists of hunting feeds and water plus 2 hunts of running traffic. The # of hunters is 1-5 for our group. We hunt in a area that doesn't get much movement compared to say NW MO, SW Iowa etc.

leftyhunter likes this.
  8. hammbone

hammbone Senior Refuge Member

Snow hunter 123 what kind of numbers are you putting up??

9. SnowHunter123

SnowHunter123 New Member

On average my group usually kills in between 10-15 some days better some days worse. But on average it is somewhere in between there.

leftyhunter likes this.
  10. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Some truly honest stuff here guys. I find it funny when the inernet heroes always claim they shoot 10-15 a man avg all season. With avg guide taking 5-6 clients that would be an avg of 50-60 each trip n I certainly call bs.i know avg is mean between zero bird days and awesome days .... But I guess if your a guide it's ok to inflate the #'s? I don't get to go that often but have picked up a couple pointers here over the years thanks.

Scotty and leftyhunter like this.