Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Kill numbers

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by SnowHunter123, Jan 16, 2017.

1. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

Well there trying to get people to book hunts with them and fill all their "fields" the entire spring so of course they're going to claim of having a 45-60 bird per hunt average.

2. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Yes of course but that's kinda crooked

Scotty likes this.
  3. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

does that surprise you?

4. joecitrano

Lol I suppose not.

5. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

No guide service I've ever seen claims they average those numbers. Most claim they average 20-30 birds a day. Most people don't understand what an average means. If a guide service is running 5 fields and they shoot 5 birds, 10 birds, 15 birds, 20 birds and 55 birds that day they averaged over 20 birds a field. Only one field needs to have a good day to push that average into the 20-30 bird range.

Also, shooting allot of birds for a guide is tougher then people who are fun hunting. Paying clients usually aren't good hunters or good shots. I've had ten guys miss a single at 15 yards. Besides trying to hide 8-10 guys, which already puts you at a disadvantage, most guys that pay a guide don't hunt much and cant hit the broad side of a barn. If you're a guide you expect to shoot half the amount of birds you would expect to shoot if you were hunting with your buddies in the exact same conditions. There's many days that you shoot 20 birds for ten guys but you decoyed 10 flocks in your face. So many 20-30 bird days with clients would be 40-70 bird days with your friends. Also, clients like to stick their head out of their blinds all the time. Every day you have inexperienced guys flaring birds because they don't put their heads into their blinds, or they pull corn off their blind doors because "they can't see".

It's easy to sit there and rag on guides when you've never done it. It's much easier to kill numbers with guys that know what they're doing, have semi auto's with magazine extensions, and are at least decent shots. Most people that have never guided never even think about these things.

6. joecitrano

So your sayin no guide service inflates the #s they avg to book a hunt? I know not all but some... Absolutely. And I fully understand avg as I said earlier. What do you think the outfit I watched a couple years ago said to there clients who hunted the same field for two weeks when there wasn't any migration happening shooting at anything within 100 yds and when clients got pissed they drove around n ditch snuck em?without permission I might add.You think they were honest with there #'s?we have some very good outfits around but way more fly by night wana be clowns claiming to be legit outfitters. So yeah I have heard crazy numbers n I'm sure im not allone

Scotty likes this.
  7. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I'm not saying there aren't bad guide services because there definitely is. I just get sick of all the guide hating when allot of those guys are respectable people just trying to make some money in a very hard business. It's not an easy job. In fact I think it's more difficult then concrete work and I've done both.

I've also heard of people complaining that they only shot 15 birds in two days with X and X guide service. What they don't tell you is that they were shooting 4 shot, and only dumped 2 birds out of a flock of 20 that decoyed into 20 yards. They also don't tell you that uncle Joe wouldn't put his head in his blind after the guide repeatedly told him to, flaring most of the birds that were coming in. Then they blame the guide service. Unless you have a group of guys that know how to hunt, you shoot way less. Anyone that thinks otherwise should start guiding and see for themselves.

8. joecitrano

And yes most paying customers move around like there sitting on tacs n heads pop up like whack a mole and generally couldn't hit the ground with there hat and I know some very good guides that are on the ball. Nobody said anything about it not being hard? And there's lots of factors but the quality goes down each year, averages remember, I'm sure you can attest to the amount of people who are instant guides . Unfortunately just because a guy works hard doesn't always equate to them bein good at it. I could show you some hard workers in my trade that in reality aren't that good at it either

9. joecitrano

N your missing my point I'm not blaming any guide for only shooting x amount of birds I blame stupid tv shows n inernet for makin these people think you gotta shoot a hundred for a good shoot but on a bad note I've seen some outfits who are just taking $

Scotty and jthomp01 like this.
  10. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

What guide service do you or have you worked for? More difficult than concrete work.... wowsers that's one of the more interesting things I've heard said. Not sure what kind of concrete work you've done but no way is snow goose hunting even remotely as physically demanding as a extensive manual labor job.

Scotty likes this.