Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Kill numbers

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by SnowHunter123, Jan 16, 2017.

1. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Nevermind, already covered.

2. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Not the midwest, but down here after spec/duck season closes, 90% of the hunters go away and after the birds rest a week or two, if we don't shoot about 10 per man, its a bad trip. Had one hunt last year two of us shot 89 and if it weren't for a few screw ups on our part, we'd of had over 100. Had two more hunts 3 of us should of had over 50, ended up with mid 30s.

3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

When you're picking up two decoy spreads and setting them up in new fields the same night, every night, it is harder then concrete work. Get up at 4:30 in the morning, bring guys out to the field and hunt. Move a couple hundred decoys that day so the birds center you up better. Break for lunch but scout instead of eating and get permission on another field. Go back out hunting until dark. Then move your spread and another spread to two new fields. Drive 45 minutes back to the motel and lodge. Eat dinner and go to bed at 10:30pm to get up and do it again in the morning. At least with concrete work it's only a 8-10 hour days and you know how much money you'll make. Do what I described above for three straight weeks without a day off and you'll change your tune.

Buttesmacker and Scotty like this.
  4. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I'd just get more efficient with how I hunted. Sounds like your particular guide service needs more workers.

5. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Takes the enjoyment completely out of it IMO. Probably because I have been doing it too long. If I was 25 would be different but now prefer to just stay in a couple of fields and take what the migration gives us. We are in good flight lines so that helps.

6. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

We do hunt all day when things are really going but are generally back to the camp/cabin for dinner by 7:30, bed by 10:30 and out in the field again at 6:30-7ish. No scouting, attempting to get permission or setting new fields nightly for this dude anymore. If you are young and can still do it by all means get after them. This old dude just enjoys the experience and the awesome migration now………and we kill some birds along the way. I believe things are about to get kicked off in Arkie. Will be curious to hear how things go down there!

WCPOPO likes this.
  7. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Wisdom only obtained by years of snow goose hunting Hannibal! I totally agree.

8. rebelduckaholic

rebelduckaholic New Member

I'm a rookie and my goal this year was to have a couple hunts with an average of 5+ per hunter with 6-8 guns. One is in the books with 6+ per gun with 7 guns. Hoping for the second one tomorrow and I will have met my goal and anything else is bonus. Cause it won't be long and they will be all gone north

9. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

As we build our rig, our expectations are a little higher. Before it was if we killed one or two each it was a success. Now, the goal is double digits.
    This is running traffic on public land in Delaware and Maryland. We've had a couple good shoots, but we do not expect big numbers at all.
    Joe, I think you will see some of those- one in particular-is no longer hunting down your way...