killed one despite myself.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

This season, I am seeing and hearing birds, but no mature toms.

Having played with a bunch of jakes, and not seeing any adult birds, I decided to try a different area. It is far steeper terrain, with a much lower turkey density, but ya’ never know.

I ended up going way into the canyon chasing a gobble, and then even further chasing another set of gobbles. It sounded like I had two different and separate birds working me, and they both toyed with me for about 1 hour… Then I had an hour of dead silence.

I decided to side-hill out and chase the original bird I had heard that was on my walk out… Following a brush-line, I clucked and lightly yelped with my mouth call as I made my way up and out. As I got to the end of the brush-line, I gave one last series of aggressive yelps, and BAM! A very close gobble.

Apparently the grass was far taller than I thought, cause all the sudden I saw the tail-fan of a mature bird in the tall grass about 50 yards in front of me. I got a decent look at him as he popped into a little gully.

When he popped out, he was way off to my left, and uphill (but still coming in my direction). As he went behind a tree I shifted my gun position (actually resting on my left knee now). I lost sight of him in the grass, and my gun slipped off me knee (not quietly either).

I could not see him, but he obviously saw me. He putted as his head came up (about 35 yards away). I fired hastily, and apparently missed, cause his head came up again… I fired again, and this time it disappeared for good. Somewhat embarrassing degree of success.

This is the second bird I ever missed, and the first one was over 20 years ago now (man I am getting old). Similar situation in which I could only see the head, and did not have the body to line the bead up on... At least I learned on my second shot.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG]

widgeon, SB2MAG, H20DAD and 3 others like this.
  2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Congrats.

3. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Good stuff Marc.

4. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Nice.

5. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Excellent bird and a nice looking area....I usually sit in one or two places all day especially if I heard gobbling and know there are birds in the area. Just wait for them to gobble and expose themselves has proven successful more often than not. If they seem to not want to move then giving them the silent treatment might do the trick...just something to think about. Like Dan's post says.......patience has killed more birds for me also than anything else. I'm three and out...time to start striper fishing if the water will ever go down and clear!

6. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Great going and congrats on stickin' with him :tu
    AND, I'm not tellin' how many toms I've missed since 1975 :doh

7. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on a hard-earned bird Marc.

8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Is that public land?

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Both...

Private access with some areas of public land... I would have no idea how to access it without private access though... Would not be too anxious to share if I did.

It is a decent sized area, and the last two years there are very few birds (a few more this year than last). Not seeing or hearing birds or bird sign in the normal areas I have in the past. Physically demanding to hunt (at least for this old guy), compared to other spots.

The bird posted above came off an adjoining private property that I do not have access to hunt... I am thinking that the fence-line is what stopped him from coming to me earlier... Odd how sometimes they will fly across a freeway to get to ya', and other times, they won't walk around a small puddle.

10. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I was just going to comment that is looked very nice for public land. Great bird.

travis ratliff likes this.