Killing Carp the fun way!

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Chris Benson, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Due to the dry weather up here, the marsh where I duck hunt in almost completely dry. There are seperate bays of water where it hasn't dried up yet.

Anyway, I walked out tonight and low and behold, one of these little sections had a few carp in them. They were traped since the creek had dried up. So I got my walking stick and went to town on them. Killed 5 of them in about ten minutes! Them things are tough, most took 5 or 6 hits to put them down.

Going out again Sunday and going to finish off the rest and anymore I can find.

2. h2ofowl_jr

h2ofowl_jr Senior Refuge Member

Do you have a bow? Try bowfishing for them. Thats what we do here. Its fun!

3. kill 'em all

kill 'em all Elite Refuge Member

HAHAHA!:l That made me laugh dude. I've never thought of anyone beating a fish to death and the thought of someone doing it makes me laugh.:l :l :l

4. fishpro43452

fishpro43452 Senior Refuge Member

Moron!!! If you were any kind of a sportsman, you would try to relocate them. What you are doing is nothing but a waste of a great sport fish!:mad:

5. Chris Benson

fishpro43452,

If you were any kind of a conservationist you would be out there helping me. Carp are an introduced species, they don't belong in this country.

Not sure if you have ever heard of a place called "Delta Marsh" It's where Delta Waterfowl has it's HQ. Anyway at one time Delta Marsh was huge staging and molting area for Waterfowl. Delta Marsh has fallen on hard times, The marsh is dying in part due to controlled high water and part in due to our "friend" the carp.

Carp are bottom feeders, they suck up the mud on the bottom and filter out the eatable stuff and the rest goes through the gills back into the water. Which in turn makes the water very murky and unable to support plant life. Since plants need sunlight to live and because the water is so murky, no sunlight can make it through to the bottom. Plants such as Sago pondweed which Canvasbacks and Bluebills feed on is dying off.

They have turned Netley (where I Hunt) and Delta marsh into a murky water wasteland. Unable to grown any kind plant for the ducks to eat and degrading the whole marsh ecosystem, to a point where the marsh is no longer functional

SO... That is why I will kill as many carp as I can, anyway I can sporting or not.

If you want more ducks over your decoys, kill some carp!

6. Chris Benson

For the rest of ya,

I went out tonight with a pitch fork and a landing net and kill another 7 or 8. They where all confined to small little channels they have dug out of the mud. Really easy pickings. Just sneak right up to them ram the pitch fork through them, drag them off and finsih them.

I would have gotten more, but I broke the pitch fork and had to start clubing them again with the handle. That is until the handle broke.

Going out again tomorrow with a couple more guys and hopefully kill off the 25-30 that remain.

Boy, sure giving the ravens and skunks a 1st course meal!

7. huntinkid

huntinkid Elite Refuge Member

Man, I'd be bowfishin them instead of beating them.lol. bowfishing is a little more challenging, but it should be pretty easy in the type of area's your talking about.

and, fishpro, if carp were the great sportfish you announce them to be. Then why does nearly every state allow them to be sot and killed with a bow?no one can do that to bass, catfish, spoonbills and those fish. But carps, gars and grinal(sp) are not considered sport fish. Which allows us ot have some fun during the summer, bowfishing for them. Or in his case. beating and pitchforking for them.

8. kill 'em all

kill 'em all Elite Refuge Member

Dang, Chris, you're killin' me!:l :l :l Pitchforkin' 'em!:l :l

9. Chris Benson

Yeah, I call it carp hunting!

Hey body else want to give it a try, come on up! There's plenty to go around, and what's better you'll be putting more ducks in sky this and the comming falls!

10. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

Fishpro has to be kidding. He is from one of the greatest walleye fisheries in the world.