killing time, tying flies

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Ol' Red, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Ol' Red

Ol' Red Senior Refuge Member

These ought to work on the shoal bass once the water gets right.

Red

Attached Files:

2. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Good lookin flies. What's a shoal bass?

3. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Heck ya they will work..nice flies! :tu

4. Ol' Red

A species of bass found in GA, FL, and AL. Here's some more info on them.

http://www.flyfishga.com/flint.htm

Red

5. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Some weighted eyes or bead chain and they would nail some Crappies too.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have tied a little, when I first moved up here. I don't really have the touch. Besides, fish are so stupid across the street, most anything works.

YOU, Ol' Red, DO have the touch. Those look really nice.

7. Ol' Red

Adding dumbell eyes or some lead to the hook shank is easy, and it does help when you're working some deeper pockets.

Thanks man. It's a great way to pass the time during the lull between duck season and the spring.

Red

8. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez Elite Refuge Member

Did you ever see Lee Wulff's flies? Any resemblance to any stream insect is purely coincidental. He was the most innovative fly tier ever, always coming up with a new pattern or material. But, his flies were the sloppiest you'll ever see. His fly tying bench now sits in the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum on Old Rt 17 in Livingston Manor NY. The most amazing thing about that bench is its relatively small size and the lack of any vise. He never used one! He tied all his flies by holding the hook in one hand while tying with the other! amazing to see.

Moral of the story, you really don't need "the touch". Like ducks coming to decoys, we tend to give these fish too much credit. They(and the ducks) just aren't all that bright.

Frank

PS,

If you really want a thrill, gather some feathers and fur that you yourself have shot. With the exception of the hackle, design a fly using those materials. You'll be amazed at how, under the right conditions, they'll catch fish. One of my favorites is using the rump feathers of a ringneck pheasant for wing material. Maybe it's the way they reflect the light, but fish seem to rise to those when nothing else seems to be working.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

They are a smaller subspecies of bass... To me they look a bit like smallmouth bass, and are apparently closely related to spotted bass.

Those flies look great... If you do not mind me asking, what is the recipe? I might consider adding a bit of marabou in the tail.

10. Ol' Red

Hook: Daiichi 2461 2-2/0 or MUSTAD 9C52SBLN
    Tail: Clear Iceabou with crystal flash covered with colored Iceabou(grey, olive, or chartreuse)
    Flank: Ice dubbing
    Body: Medium pearl estaz
    Eyes: Pearl molded eyes
    Top: Colored with Prism marker to match the tail color

This is the Murdich Minnow pattern. There are a ton of different ways to tie it with different materials, but I really like how this one looks in the water. The Iceabou gives it a really nice action. If you google "Murdich Minnow" there are several youtube videos on how to tie it.

Red