Kindness repaid

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Aug 11, 2018 at 6:32 PM.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I was reading in another thread and it made me think of something. Here is what I read:
    Let's hear your stories of your good deeds winding up turning out well for you.

This isn't my story, but it's in the family.

My uncle was driving down the road and saw a guy on the side trying to fix a tire so he stopped to help him out. Turned out that the guys spare tire was flat and so he was hosed. My uncle told him that if he promised to bring his spare back, he'd loan it to him. The guy agreed and got his address, they put the spare on his truck and off he went.

A couple of days later the guy shows up to return the tire. He brought a framed painting with him to give to my uncle. Turns out he was a local artist by the name of Leon Parson. I'm sure most of you have probably never heard of him, but in our area, most people have. If I remember right, it was part of his "No-Tellum" series.

He has some serious talent. I've seen murals he's done that cover walls 10-15' high and 30' long or more, that are just spectacular. He's done murals all over the place - some even overseas in places like Rome.

Anyway - a nice gesture, stopping and helping out a stranger, turned into a nice unexpected gift.

2. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

Many years ago I was sea duck hunting in the Rose Bay area on a snotty day and we had the place to ourselves all morning - until another boat drifted around the point going towards Ocracoke. They were a mile or so off but we watched them and finally decided they might be in trouble so we rode over to check. Motor dead, no anchor, no flares, no radio and this was before cellphones, small boat would never make it in the open sound sans power. We took them under tow back to their ramp. Offered to pay but I gave them the standard line "Next time it might be me so just help others out". We finally got back to our ramp and found the prettiest cork drake sea scoter decoy sitting in our boat.