Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

King Eider Color Change?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by TEX-O-BOB, Sep 28, 2012.

1. TEX-O-BOB

TEX-O-BOB Senior Refuge Member

Here's a question for all you king eider guys. I've posted two pics of the same duck. One when it was killed and the other the day I mounted it. My customer was dead set on the notion that the color in the head particularly the blue-greeen under the eye faded somehow during the mounting process. Now that I have seen it with my own two eyes I can see what he's looking at when he makes that statement. Clearly the color has changed. Now I know the lighting is different in each picture, and that can play some part, but in looking at tons of reference pics of live birds, and then looking at all the mounted king eider pics I could find, I too can defiantly see a difference in color. The blue-green under the eye is definitely faded and muddled quite a bit.

Have you guys noticed this too? and if so, what can be done about it to restore the color or prevent the fading to happen in the first place? My customer wants me to paint the feathers to restore the color and I think I'll be able to pull it off, but I'm really nervous about it.

Help!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Elite Refuge Member

I noticed this doing mine. It's more of a grooming issue. If u pull /fluff the feathers forward the green is more of an under color. When u slick back u loose that holographic effect. My .02$ worth.

3. Birdtaxidermy

Birdtaxidermy Elite Refuge Member

Agreed... Flourescent light also makes a different look. take it outside with some diffused afternoon light and take a look.

4. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead Refuge Member

If you look at how you have your feathers groomed in the mount and how they are on the freshly dead bird you will notice that you have them going from the bill to the ear in the mount and the dead bird has them flowing more downward. Shane is right about the flourescent light as well....

5. iawaterfowler

iawaterfowler Elite Refuge Member

DON'T PAINT THEM. It never turns out well.

6. TEX-O-BOB

Thanks guys! I did notice the color changes while grooming it, and it really does depend on what angle you're looking at the feathers as to what color shade you'll see. I've got the feathers groomed as puffy as I dare without making it look silly. Now I just need to talk my client out of the paint job...;)

7. iawaterfowler

iawaterfowler Elite Refuge Member

If you can't, I will. I have NEVER seen paint look natural on feathers.

8. 20gabismuth

20gabismuth Elite Refuge Member

All three of my drake Kings have a different array of the green below the eyes. It's the natural coloring of the feathers. When I walk them past them or change the angle or light I look at them in; it appears to have subtle changes. Someone I know who used to post on this site has a good video of it.

He wanted me to send a picture to him of one of mine and I'm going to but I'll need help this tomorrow from my wife taking the large glass cover off. Not heavy but awkward.

I wouldn't touch a damn thing on the bad boy.....looks good just like it is!!! :tu

9. flyline

flyline Elite Refuge Member

Cool stuff on this thread. I am not a taxidermist but I would like to know is there a 'proper' direction? Or is it a each to his own during this grooming?

10. TEX-O-BOB

I was wondering the same thing as soon as I read Mr Whiteheads post. So I went and got on line and found a bunch of close-ups of king heads to look at. Most all the birds have their cheek/head feathers laying naturally back towards the ear in a horizontal direction. I think the reason that dead one has his drifting down is because he's dead. The facial muscles have relaxed and let the feathers just lay how they will.

This is why I love coming up in here so much. I learn new stuff all the time. :yes Thanks again for all your feedback guys!:tu