Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

King Eider Color Change?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by TEX-O-BOB, Sep 28, 2012.

1. flyline

flyline Elite Refuge Member

Me too! I plan on setting up all the eiders I have for pictures, out from behind the glass, Brazo:D. My curio is a pain in the butt to get into as well so I totally understand why you shot thru the glass. But I need to make room for the kings and harlis anyway. I have to take my Borealis back to my local taxi he never painted the feet. Plus I will need to shine up his leg iron!

2. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

Did you shoot those in MAine?

3. flyline

The Borealis yes! The drake 08 I remeber cause of the band and the hen maybe 3 seasons ago.

4. squatty420

Do they distinguish it being a Borealis on the band cert? I would think not but it would be interesting if they did do that.

Also did you know the hen was a Borealis when you shot it?

Just curious on both......

5. flyline

No banded as day old chick. I did call the researcher and tell her. She wasnt suprised due to banding location. Table Bay N.F. / Labrador

No but, I knew she was special because her color was unusal, extremely light. Pale is a word someone else used that is perfect. She was very different then the other hens we had been seeing. But once in hand I had my suspicions she was Borealis. Her lobes/sheilds were like whisps, practically non existent, very thin sheilds, and she had the forehead (bulge) bump. But called in the pros for id confirmation. Only after the 'big 3' confirmed did I take it in to taxi.

6. squatty420

Pattrick that's what I would had figured on the band info. But I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that you didn't know that you were shooting a Borialis Hen on the wing! I thought you were better than a "shoot first and identify later" sort of guy :dv:joker:l

7. flyline

Well I usually do its only when I am hunting Condor or Macawa that I dont bother IDing:nutz

Do you know how hard it is to tell the difference between a hen Mariposa sub species California Condor, who is getting ready to nest on eggs, and a hen El Dorado sub species California Condor, who is hunting for fledglings, on the wing, from the right seat of a Cessna 172 doing 70 knots in the Grand Canyon, looking down the barrel of a punt gun? Damn you people are tough:tu

8. squatty420

:dv

You're a good sport :tu

9. flyline

I knew my cops were getting busted:tu I think we have hijacked the thread thou

10. flyway taxidermy

flyway taxidermy Sponsor