"Knock-Off" Launchers

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by KwickLabs, May 26, 2004.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Well, I for one just couldn't come up with the money for a set of three remote wingers. I, also, know of at least three different "welders" that can supply a basic winger structure in the design of your choice. However, by the time you piece together the components, add electronics and realize there is no service or guarantee, it seems even that can be less than ideal and still ring up a bunch of cash.

Did you know remote wingers can be made from PVC? 1" and 0.5" work just fine if the design is correct. Here are three remote wingers that will throw a 2" dummy 30-40 yards with a nice high arc, weigh less than 10 pounds, remote out to 300 yards, fold into a 2 ft.X3 ft. package and all three fit behind the seat in my Sonoma pick-up. Total cost invested $450 and labor for all three remote "Mini-My Wingers". :nutz :cool:

This is a stickman three singles "pod" Kooly ran last week.

[​IMG]

2. BLKLAB

BLKLAB Senior Refuge Member

I am impressed out of PVC. How durable are they and time ivested to make one. Are you selliing them or selling the designs.

Zeus the BLKLAB

:)

3. KwickLabs

I thought about it for two minutes. :l :l :nutz Reading posts about other winger/launcher businesses, supply problems coupled with failure and service issues, I probably wouldn't have time to train.

They are strong, have very little flex and since I built them out of basic hardware.....simple to repair (if needed). So far my only problem is forgetting to disconnect the batteries when finished training. Fabrication is simple once you have the design. Built three frames from scratch in less than 2 hours the first time (after finishing the prototype). 1" PVC or less can be simply cut with a vice-like clamping cutter that costs about $10. I am presently working out a design for adding the 209 primer.

Remember in school when your teacher showed you how strong a straw was when you pushed straight down on its end? Same idea. :tu

4. BIG DOG I

BIG DOG I Elite Refuge Member

have you tried a duck/pheasent throw yet?

what about a blue print? would ya give it up?

5. KwickLabs

What's to give up? :z They say a picture is worth a thousand words. :rolleyes:

PM and I'll send you my phone number.

6. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Elite Refuge Member

KwickLabs,

Nice design. I, like I am sure many, many people have, have been rolling that around in my tiny brain for a while now. Looks like you might have it! Did you use commercial electronics? Any chance you could take another picture for us of the connection between the release mechanism and the launcher? Thanks for sharing with the fugers!

7. KwickLabs

I could, but if you are a bow hunter and know what an inexpensive Truefire Patriot bow trigger is, it is too simple. Tested to 200 pounds "pull", the trigger release works with a slight tug from the wire leader material connected to the electronics.

All matererials were bought from Menards, Farm & Fleet and Gander Mountain with the exception of the electronics. Those can be found with a simple search on the Internet. Do a Google search for "automatic door controllers". From the looks of the recent Air Launch King (right name?)advertisement in my HRC magazine, their transmitter has a very striking similarity. :tu

Big Dog I, took measurements this morning: drake mallard - 15 yards, Dokken mallard - 23 yards and 2" dummy - 30 yards (the duck trajectory is about as good as the best throw my 15 year old grandson can do). This is at the maximum stretch on this small, 36" tall winger (actually, it only comes up to my waist when set-up). It would be simple to modify the height of the design (a little) for "bigger rubber", but my Sonoma is the limiting factor.

8. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Elite Refuge Member

Aw heck Jim. Give them the name of the electronics company. I'm done doing the remote launchers deal and I totally understand your not wanting to fabricate these things for others. It's a pain in the butt when you work hard to save others $$$ and they whine and nag about things, treat the equipment poorly, and blame you!!!!

I noticed the Air Launch King stuff too. It's gotta be the same company.

Anyway, how about sending my a couple upclose pics? I've been wanting to make some remote wingers to go along with the bumper lauchers I've made. We have 2 ad 3 launcher models, but they're based on the retriev-r-trainer, which doesn't work well if the primers get damp (read as, can be problematic in western WA). So, I need something to toss marks the "few" times we're training in the rain :)

Have you changed the remote, or are you regularly getting 300 yards with the FMT?

They have an 8-channel, it's a little bigger, and differnet frequency, but it might be easier than the primer thing.
    1 8-channel remote
    3 2-channel receivers
    3 mini-sirens
    and you're in business

Channel 1=siren1
    Channel 2=winger 1

Channel 3=siren 2
    Chanel 4=winger 2

Channel 5=siren 3
    Channel 6=winger 3

And you have two channels left for the upland launchers.
    You can use the siren until the dawg swings over, then fire the winger.

9. MindTrikCallr

MindTrikCallr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Clean ya pm box :l probably full of request by now

10. KwickLabs

How many does it take to fill'er up? :z