"Knock-Off" Launchers

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by KwickLabs, May 26, 2004.

1. oregonphesanthunter

oregonphesanthunter Senior Refuge Member

Kwick - what do you use to connect the door actuators and your release? I've been struggling to find something that holds up to the weather and is also easy enough to use so it can be adjusted easily enough to just the right length so the release is reliable.

Thanks for all the help with this. I've been using mine for a year and a half and love love and just trying go fine tune them a little.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Here's a photo of the "attachment".

First, drill a very small hole in the end of the bow trigger (note: not easy to do). Using a light, flexible wire leader material.....tie/link the trigger to the actuator so the wire passes through a small ring (terminal fishing tackle) attached (zip tie & electrical tape) to the bottom of the winger. The ring is positioned for a right angle turn in the wire. It must be stationary.

Adjust the wire leader length as needed. The leader material is not all that difficult to tie knots in (or use crimps). Knots last longer, but are more difficult. Also, the ends of the wire leader are like needles. Therefore, cover them with black electrical tape.

[​IMG]

3. Red Retrievers

Red Retrievers Refuge Member

I've tried several methods to connect the actuator to the release. What I have found that works the best is picture hanger wire I twist the wire end around the wire then solder both ends. I don't get any slippage and they hold up very well. The picture wire is a little heavier hopfully it will last longer.

4. ValleyGooseHunter

ValleyGooseHunter Senior Refuge Member

Just got my electronics today in the mail. I need to thank Misty Marsh for his help and speedy service. I recommend everyone should get there stuff from him. Anyways I made four of them and just about finished last night with a minor little set back. I am using screws to hold the pieces together instead of glue just cause I have had other projects come loose with glue. So anyways putting in a few screws last night and you know when they start to wobble and you think you should move you hand. Well I thought that but a little to late and ended up with the driver bit of my Dewalt in my hand. Lucky for me though the bone stopped it.:doh Guess I should have glued instead.

5. Kingbee

Kingbee Refuge Member

This thread helped me out in building my own remote launcher so I thought I would post this here.

(2) retriev-r-trainer launchers ($160), 2 channel digital RC remote & receiver ($20), misc hardware ($5). The servo I got free from a friend, aluminum materials were scrap I found at work. Total cost $185.

[​IMG]

I plan on building another one this summer. I can post up a video if anyone wants to see how it works.

6. MudCatKid

MudCatKid Elite Refuge Member

>>>>> WOW - Theres a rediculous amount of good info here. I have to thank all of you that have contributed. It looks like a got a new project to work on for a while.

My biggest holdup has been the transmitter/receivers. From what I have noticed, Elsema product prices have gone up subsantially since the initial starting of this thread (2005 or so?), which left me looking for other options that may be a little more affordable. With that, I do have one question regarding transmitters/receivers for the experienced folks here:

Has anybody used firework/pyro wireless "cue" firing systems in place of the Elsema, walkietalkie, etc remote transmitter/receivers? :confused: Something like the "2 cue", which I presume is analogous to "2 channel" firing system below is "rated" for 500m (likely 1-200 realistically) and runs about $35US.

[​IMG]

I've also noticed there are a wide variety of 12v wireless transmitter/receiver units for sale on Ebay and other websites, however, I have yet to find a distributor located in the US and not in China.

7. furface

furface Elite Refuge Member

I have used the chinese stuff off of ebay. It is so cheap compaired to the elsema stuff I consider it disposable. What I have had problems with are the lead acid 12 volt batteries. I am currently changing over to using 12 volt DeWalt Nicad batteries.

8. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

9. 20ga_gunner

20ga_gunner Refuge Member

TTT! I'm fixing to make some of these!

yella hull mafia