Lab prices

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by XtremaGoose, Dec 26, 2016.

1. montana bound

montana bound Senior Refuge Member

EIC, CNM , PRA and the other doz res gene traits that a lab can be tested for is a sure bet. If parents are clear then all puppys will be clear.
    Hip and Elbows its a high probability that You wont have a joint problem, but theres still a chance.
    But still better to spend the extra money for a puppy whos parents have what you are looking for.

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

At the end of twelve years, a $1000 dog will only cost you an extra 3 cents a day when compared to a $400 dog.

Foxwood likes this.
  3. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Get up with a local retriever club. It may take a little bit, but someone will breed a litter and pups often go cheaper to friends. I know a guy that bred his MH female to Pounder and those pups went well below market value. All clearances.

Hogleg likes this.
  4. Foxwood

Foxwood Senior Refuge Member

Costs have gone up. A case of 12 Ga Drylok shells is $200 now. Why scrimp on your companion for 10+ years? Like Doc says the cost difference is nothing over the lifetime of the dog.

And, as has been mentioned, you can find outstanding gundog litters with working, titled parents for under a grand if you look around.

5. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

If the clearances are done, it is more insurance they will be normal, but nothing in life is 100%. As far as health concerns do you mean like allergies? CCl's can happen because they still don't know the why they occur. My best advice is look for breeders that have been breeding their own dogs for awhile and are passionate about the breed, honor their guarantees, and have a good reputation. Do your research. The cost isn't the determiner, because some of the newer "breeders" that are pumping out pup, are buying females ready to breed, and are asking more money. They don't know anything about the dogs they are buying. Watch out for no elbow clearances. Lots of that going on. It can be a crap shoot, but true breeders feel bad when something is wrong with their puppies. They weed out undesirable problems like allergies and more than average ccl injuries from their breeding stock. Just do lots of research, and don't jump on a breeding du jour where the people doing it have only bred a few litters.

Doc E likes this.
  6. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I was told by my trainer that unless they have health certs and MH or equivalent on both the sire and dam, there is no need to spend $1000 or more.

7. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

I have got 2 labs in 3 years and Due to a accident with one of them, I'm getting another one this spring. What i have learned, the $300 no paper dog with hip problems, costed more, then my decent papered $550 lab. Now I'm getting a very very very well bred lab. Yes the up front is more expensive but same cost through life.

8. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

Paid $700 for my female--trained her my self and have a great bird drive. Many retrieves already for only 2yr old. Sire comes from long line of FC MH NAFC- Dam is just AKC DNA cert. Prices vary depending on certifications and bloodline- a hip test run around $400 in my area (something I plan on getting done soon before next heat). You can very well find labs under $400 as mention craigslist, but if you want a lifelong companion the extra $ will be worth it in the end.

9. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Prices have doubled around here.
    Hard to find anything under $1000 a pup.

10. Brack36

Brack36 Senior Refuge Member

You have to take your time and look. Many of the $1000 pups don't have what it takes in pedigree to be a $1000 dog. Look at both sides (sire and dam) as each are of equal importance. It has been posted once in this thread, there are people out there not looking for large dollar amounts. You will find the litter right for you.

Your question though, yes prices have gone up.