Lab prices

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by XtremaGoose, Dec 26, 2016.

1. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

There's no magic number.

But with standardized specific testing like what's available, your 'odds' are certainly better. I, like many others, say better enough to be worth additional expense. How much? No magic number. Personally, I feed what I believe to be high quality feed that many others would not pay for. Though he's a personal friend, I also believe my low vet bills and very infrequent issues directly relate to breeding, feeding, exercising, etc. It all goes together. Just like with human health or other things in life. No shortcuts.

None of which mean many folks won't have long happy years with a rescue animal.

But there's no question your 'odds' are better with better bred, tested, dogs.

'Better' is then valued by each individual.

I wouldn't by a $1000 dog. But that doesn't mean they're not worth it. It means I'm simply not paying $1000 for a pup, any pup. My choice/value determination. I don't make my living with them. I don't test competitively, breed, etc. Others do....such things make sense depending on specific scenarios.

Another example:
    Anyone can pay very little and get chickens from a hatchery. They'll look 'right' to the untrained eye, they'll pretty well act right, and many are quite happy perpetually buying them. Then there are chickens bred to standard by knowledgeable people with an interest in such who breed for income, show birds in competition, etc. There are some that are quite expensive.

I won't buy either of these because they don't make sense for me. I value health, egg quality, longevity, etc far too much to buy hatchery birds. I value my sense and wallet far too much to buy a $100 chicken. All this to say I end up somewhere in the middle and that suits ME just fine. It's what makes sense in my situation. The attributes I mentioned are definitely worth something. How much? Depends on who you are.

2. XtremaGoose

XtremaGoose Senior Refuge Member

Well I know that the price of the dog is pennies of what you will spend over their lifetime, vet bills, health supplies , food ext. I was just wondering my other dogs have had there health clearances and all that good stuff I just got them for half price, I guess if I'm going to spend 1000, I might as well spend 1500 and go with a common breeder not just go off people's words, and get a dog. But I know people that spent alot more for their dog than I did but didn't get the performance out of it. But like I gave always said you'll get out what you put in to your dog. I am the kind of guy that takes my dogs with me every ware if I'm doing something they are coming with, sorry for the rants just lost a dog and don't didn't understand the price situation

3. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

As previously stated I bought a dog without health clearances. She is about one year old and so far is a great little pup and companion. We have spent a huge amount of time training. It has occurred to me that it is going to be a major bummer if she has health problems that could have been identified with testing. We have a lot of time invested at this point and because of our training all she wants to do is work. It is what she lives for. I assume a lot of that drive is a result of the many, many hours we have spent training.

4. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

As most people said; 'cheap' puppies often aren't. Read the health records & don't think any breeder's guarantee will protect you....what will your kids say when you want to give their 'Josie' away! Just look around, read a lot, buy the best pup you can afford and don't screw him up by making him gunshy or water shy. Chances are you'll be ok.

5. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Buy the best with health certs but it doesn't have to be the most expensive. Study pedigrees. The state started inspecting kennels, and many of the puppy mills were told they had to be upgraded so they raised their prices to $1500 and $2000 to offset the costs. There is no reason you have to pay that much for mediocre.

6. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

$1500 -2000 dog isn't a ton of money if you are looking at the high end dogs. If they are MH, NFC, HRCH, UH. And they are breed to a very good dog there puppy's should be priced for that.

7. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Prices have gone up. But around here, $1Kish will buy you a very nice HT/FT breeding stacked well on both sides, with health clearances. Some breeders will NOT require you to "give back" the dog if there is a problem, but they will require it to be spayed/neutered, its just a matter of contract. If you want an All Age contender, that is another price ball park.

8. XtremaGoose

That being said who has some good yellow/red labs, I am ready

9. Stealth Man

Stealth Man Senior Refuge Member

^^ No such thing as a red lab. Okay lets hear it !

10. XtremaGoose

reddish tint to yellow lab (dark yellow) is what I meant

Stealth Man likes this.