Lab prices

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by XtremaGoose, Dec 26, 2016.

1. fnsret

fnsret Refuge Member

You think Lab prices are bad look at competitive Golden prices. $2500 to $3000.

2. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

From now on, we are only going to get black dogs. Many times in training and competition Jones has been lost in the background at a distance on a blind. You cannot handle if you cannot see them. In training, we lose the opportunity train the dog and in trials we have lost opportunities to place. In early morning or late afternoon, is hard to see him when there is a wind ripple in the water and glare from the sun. In dead grass or tules he is also very hard to see.

If all of your blind retrieves are within 100 yds, then it probably does not make a difference. In the past, we have only considered the pedigree, pricing and grading of the individual pup, not the color.

3. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

(red lab.....this is what is called fox color)

I just pulled the trigger on a new pup. My current lab is now 14 and showing the typical signs of old age.....losing strength and balance in back legs, eyes glossing over w/ cataracts, hearing loss, etc. Great retriever in his time out of Natl championship breeding....paid $1500 14 yrs ago. New pup costing me $2500.....NAFC/AFC/FC sire and MH bitch.....2nd breeding of the two....2 pups from 1st breeding scored over 20 pts each in Derby the past year....the pups will all be sold before they are born...actually I put down my deposit, getting 2nd pick, before the bitch takes....she is being inseminated next week w/ chilled sperm from the sire....overnighting the sperm from TN to CA and 99% probability insemination will take. So....here's the history of my pup spending:

1971.....$500...BF out of CAFC, CFC Drambuie x Super Chief
    1984.....$900...BM out of NAFC Trieven Thunder x Snakeyes
    1997....$1300...YM out of NAFC Cropper x too many NAFCs/N
    2003.....$1500...YM out of NAFC Buckwheat x lots
    2017.....$2500...BF out of NAFC Traveler x NAFC Cody

Quoting the legendary coach Paul Bear Bryant..."you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****"...and William Shakespeare..."you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. Swampcollie

Swampcollie Elite Refuge Member

Have Lab prices gone up that much? My dog was put down last week due to cancer, and I have been looking for a replacement but notice how much money everyone wants. I bread my dogs a few times and sold them for 400 to 500 a piece didn't seem to have any problem getting that. But I have not seen anything around that price range. I had paid 450 for my other lab which was the pick of the litter but that was 10 years ago, I paid 350 for my female and they have both been wonderful dogs but now I need to dog for my other one and to get trained up for the other is 9 and I know her days hunting are getting numbered.

The reality is the price of many things have doubled over the last 8 to 10 years and dogs are one of those things. A new pup equal in quality to the one you paid $450-$500 for ten years ago now sells for $900 to $1000.

5. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Talking prices, how should/does the lack of health clearances and health guarantees affect the price of a pup?

Looking at a recent add for cbr pups without clearance/guarantee and my recent purchase without guarantee and it doesn't seem to make much difference. That being said the previous pup I purchased had a guarantee, has bad hips, can't really use the guarantee or wife/kids would disown me.

Not a complaint or comment on a breeders actions, just wondering if how folks feel about litters with no clearances or guarantees.

6. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for posting that. I am almost 77 years old with poor vision in my right eye. This year I went to using my old golf range finder on blinds longer than about 125 yards. Pounce is yellow and becomes invisible quickly plus "locating" where blinds are planted is an additional issue. The plans are maybe one more pup. Never thought much about it.....but "black lines do matter". :h

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  7. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

I assume this means their guarantee means putting the dog down or giving it back?

We had the first dog with dysplasia (thats what we were told) out of Candlewoods. They just required we got her fixed and when we sent them the proof we were able to put our name down for a pup out of a litter of our choice.

I would NEVER get a pup out of a litter without health guarantees.

Doc E likes this.
  8. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Yes putting it down or returning for free pup. Keeping dog resulted in 50% off next pup. Only one sire at this breeder that I'm aware of. Didn't want another dog as I'm aware of similar issues in other pups from this sire. Buyer beware.