Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Lack of Bands

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Langford, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Langford

Langford New Member

It seems as though there are very few birds with bands harvested during the past few seasons here on the Shore. My hunting groups shoots about 400-500 geese a year and we haven't killed a band in about 4 years. I can only think back to one banded duck shot within the passed 5 seasons. I also do not see many pictures shared by friends where they have harvested bands during their hunt. (Besides of resident geese during September) Perhaps they are not banding as many birds?

2. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Refuge Member

Or there are more birds ?

mrsteve likes this.
  3. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Oddly enough this is the first year I have not got one in 17yrs.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Maryland banded 966 geese in 2017. They had 800 band reports in that time.

Maryland banded 794 geese in 2007. They had 848 band reports in that time.

You may be on to something

5. Ungavawatcher

Ungavawatcher Senior Refuge Member

Part of it is probably that we band fewer AP geese in northern Quebec now than we did during the early-mid 2000s. In recent years, the number banded is usually in the 3,000-4,000/yr range compared to 6,000-9,000 10-15 years ago. We have had to reduce helicopter time because of the high cost and there have been a number of years recently with poor gosling production which really reduces the size of our catches.

Bill

6. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

63CA1AA4-9861-47CF-8FC5-7398E64617B3.jpeg I used to kill quite a few bands but I think Derek stole my Golden Horseshoe. This was the first band of the year for me, a couple days before Christmas in DE.

I used to average about 1 per hundred or so, now it seems like 1 per hundreds.

7. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

killed 2 banded mallards this year on in Centreville the other near Denton. luck me. I dont get a band a year usually and mostly on divers and geese.. And I got my second banded dove this yr! near millington banded 7 mi away the mallards were yearling from Ont and 2 yr old drake from MB fun to get the cert right away online!

8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

WE used to hunt a farm across creek from Remington farms then Chesapeake farms. Lots of banded birds but they weren’t banded very far away. Lol.

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Allan I think your horseshoe went platinum long ago. A speck and a band on the same hunt. Only you.

Allan likes this.
  10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Are we talking Canadas, ducks, snows??? What?

I and my hunters have literally thousands of Canada geese in my lifetime all across the country and in Canada. I have only ever gotten two bands, 1 in MD the first year the moratorium lifted and 1 in MI that was banded 100 yards from where we killed it(does that even count?) I just don’t think they band them like they used to or maybe I’m just a band repellant.

Ducks on the other hand I have dang near a lanyard full and I haven’t even come close to killing as many ducks as I have Canadas. Generally 1-3 a year.

As for snows, we shoot 6-7 a year. Just got my first one of the year today with a little extra gold along with it.