Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Lack of geese

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joe117, Jan 25, 2017.

1. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

Here on the St. Mary's Wicomico, this year's goose season has been mostly a bust.
    We have never got the clouds of geese that we usually have in the fields and the river.
    It looks like the geese just stopped in their migration before they got here.

So my question is...
    Does that mean that fewer geese were shot than in a normal season?
    Does that mean that there will be more geese flying north this spring?

2. mrsteve

mrsteve Senior Refuge Member

We've definitely killed fewer geese this year in and around Talbot county. There are birds around, they're just never acting right.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Funny, my spot in Talbot is holding the most it's had in the last 3-4 years (general area not just one farm). That said my other place in Kent is really really low and keeps sliding lower each season. How many are spread out in NY, PA right now? Remember right before Christmas how awesome things were lining up.

breakout the fishing stuff....

4. Langford

Langford New Member

Goose numbers are undoubtably down in Kent this year, that being said their is still a good number of geese around.

We have already shot twice as many geese as last year. This is discussed year after year and the end conclusion is that we need cold weather for an extended period of time in order to get the birds deviating from their traditional patterns and to force them to feed heavily. The last few weeks have been difficult. We are having trouble getting the groups to finish and realizing we should have shot the 2-3 in the decoys while we were trying to wait on the group. We have missed a lot of opportunities trying to get the large flock to finish. On a cold year those problems seem to disappear and the geese dive into the decoys with much less circling or hovering picking your spread/blind apart.

5. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

And yet you guys want to push the season further into the breeding season.
    So, I wonder how much of a coincidence it is that the breeding population has declined- and we are hunting geese into February?

6. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Good point.. I have no problem with ending the season earlier.

7. Langford

Langford New Member

It will not be long and Md will end up back to a one bird limit or end up in another moratorium.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  8. mrsteve

We've got a lot. They are just impossible to pattern. Use one farm for two days straight then you hunt it and don't see a bird fly over the farm all day.

9. mrsteve

I doubt that. Numbers are strong. 2013-2014 was an amazing year for goose hunting and it was COLD. With ICE. We just haven't had the weather the past few years.

Powder24 likes this.
  10. bombman

bombman Senior Refuge Member

As others have said many times on this forum, its about location, location location...I live in Granville and there are by far more geese on the farms around my house then I have seen in many years. I have had the pleasure to hunt one of my friends leases in Talbert Co. the last couple weeks and we have been done very quickly on every hunt. They hunt the same farm pretty much daily (with usually 4 to 8 hunters) and are done and off the farm before the geese really fly. The farm fills up with geese almost every afternoon. On the marsh in Caroline Co, we have had geese decoying on almost every hunt the last couple weeks. The cold, then warm, then cold, full moon, wind, no wind, flood tides does have the birds hard to pattern..Also, the marsh duck hunting has really falling off. I see the usual flocks of black ducks but few other duck. I did have a flock of pintails circle me 3 times yesterday afternoon...I let them circle one too many times! Still kicking myself for that decision! Its the last week of duck and only 2 weeks of goose. its almost over so get out there and hunt...good luck
    Doug