Georgia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Lake Altoona?

Discussion in 'Georgia Flyway Forum' started by markethunter, Jun 29, 2005.

1. markethunter

markethunter Elite Refuge Member

Anybody hunt Altoona? Heard from one guy that he did some decent shooting over there last season. Killed a couple Pintails.

Might give it a shot this year. He said hunting pressure was pretty low so all he had to do was find where they were hanging out before hand and set up.

No competition, and pretty easy hunting.

2. WOODIE13

WOODIE13 Elite Refuge Member

I heard the same thing. Pounded. Also, the Coosa can be outstanding with the NW wind. Nothing but sprig and big bull widgeon. Got to love GA :tu

3. hunt-chessies

hunt-chessies Elite Refuge Member

woodie, if you got a place thats nothing but sprigs you BETTER "hook a brotha up"!!!!! I have never even shot at a sprig and i want one for my wall in a bad way!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! (i'm like a kid asking to go to the park!!)

4. WOODIE13

The only bad thing about sprigs is the one a day limit. You do not know how many times I have had to pass on other ducks after being laden down in a pinnie hole with my one for the day. Same goes for the black duck. They know when they are safe :dv

5. hunt-chessies

hunt-chessies Elite Refuge Member

welll there are alot worse problems to have buddy!!! really man let me know if i can tag along this fall. I can come up there about any weekend. I'd take leave if i had to for a nice drake pin!!! I'd like to mount a widgon too but i don't think it will be this year.

6. WOODIE13

Sounds like a plan :tu

7. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Haven't hunted Allatoona in a few years, but late in the season there used to be pretty good hunting for divers, too. I used to put out a few decoys and sit out on the end of a long point and do ok on bufflehead and a ringneck or 2.

8. WOODIE13

Divers are not below me either. Got to love the ring necks and the buffies are one tough little duck. The wife wants a buffie drake mount for the coffee table and it is my job to try and help her out :yes

Anybody up for a GA refuge gang hunt in late Dec or early Jan? Rolling back home the last few weeks of season to try my hand at some of the WV birds, hope everything is not iced up.

9. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Senior Refuge Member

Woodie -

If you're putting together a hunt to go after sprigs, I'm interested.

Like Chessie, that's one drake I'd really like to have on the wall.

10. WOODIE13

We will just have to see what the north wind brings, but I am up for a late December/Jan hunt. :tu Who else?

My best guess this year for a sprig would be north and east GA, that is if we get the cold weather. :yes

Of course, any duck will do, after all this is GA :D