Lake Apopka

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by MudBelly, Jul 30, 2016.

1. MudBelly

MudBelly Refuge Member

Anybody familiar with the progress on habitat and toxicity levels of Lake Apopka? I think it's getting around the time SJWMD was supposed to review it again.

I was going to go check it out today, may do it tomorrow, if nothing else get a look for myself for the future.

2. MudBelly

MudBelly Refuge Member

Well, that was a big negative for me ghost rider. I saw 13 gators in an hour, one big enough to make a wake when it went under and swam away, another one with a head about as big as a Yugo. Lake is still mostly pea green soup. I couldn't imagine wading in to that. North shore didn't look too bad, some cattails but not bad, but then again Ive got rookie eyes.

3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

MudBelly, I will say again, join up with United Waterfowlers of Florida. The annual dues are 25$, you will get representation on local issues related to wetlands, waterfowling, and much more. There are many savvy members who can answer most of your hydrological questions and much more. There is no substitute for scouting but those are good folks right there! There is a teal season next month, stay awake!

4. MudBelly

MudBelly Refuge Member

I am. Almost did this past weekend. I've still got to get some decoys and get the blind structure built on my boat and then that'll be next in line.