Lake Erie style layout boat build question.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jthomp01, Nov 12, 2017.

1. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

So we are in the process of building two of these boats at one time. We don't have any plans, but are pretty confident so far just going off of different build pictures that we have found.

The one thing that we are having trouble with is figuring out how/what to use for the outer lip of the boat. It looks like some guys are bending 1 bys for the curve ?

Here is a pic to kind of show what im talking about. Any ideas on what to use for this ? We want to do it this way to give the epoxy a less harsh angle to wrap around.

Attached Files:

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I built a oddball sort of layout designed with keeping my dog behind me. It weighed a ton!!! To heavy to move so I left it anchored out on an island.

The reason I mention that is that I had to learn all my lessons on my own.

Buying plans might seem expensive but you are probably benefitting from the mistakes they learned from.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Why not bend some Ash. Need to steam it, but will bend easily

4. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

We've built a couple of the hybrid layouts and just decided to go ahead and use what we knew from those to build these. They are actually coming along nicely, just wasn't sure on what guys were using for the chine. I'm also one of those guys that learns through trial and error. Frustrating but also satisfying when stuff starts coming together. We also plan on towing these out for diver hunts so luckily weight isn't too much of an issue. Thanks for the reply !

: 10862988, member: 15640"]Why not bend some Ash. Need to steam it, but will bend easily[/QUOTE]

If i had a steam box i would have. Ended up cutting strips from plywood to match the curve of the chine. Turned out good. Thanks for the reply !

5. Rich Chamberlin

Rich Chamberlin Refuge Member

You might consider a fiberglass laminate product called "Divinicell. It is a closed cell rigid foam comes in sheet form, designed for marine composite use. It is available in 1/4" to 1' thicknesses. Can use with epoxy or polyester resin. It is VERY easy to get the bend you are looking at in any of it's thickness. Get from one line fiberglass supply store.
    PM me need more info. Rich

jthomp01 likes this.