Lake O open water opportunities???

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by marinaboy, Nov 30, 2014.

1. marinaboy

marinaboy Refuge Member

Hello Guys first of all I am not looking to step on anyones toes but I am a waterfowl guide in Currituck N.C and winter in the keys. This year on our season break a couple of us wanted to try hunting in Fla. We hunt larger waters in boat blinds mine is a 23 parker with a scissor rig blind. I know the ducks probably day roost on the larger open parts of the lake. That would be where we would like to set up. Any tips on running the lake, General areas to scout hazards etc would be greatly appreciated. We will be based out of Clewiston next week. Thank you for any advise . Pm me if would like. Louis

2. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

With the rig you're hunting out of it will be a no brainer.

Your biggest hazard on Lake O is the afternoon sea breezes or a fast moving front.

Depending on the strength of the winds, the seabreezes can come from the east or the west.

Due to the shallow depth of the lake, it can get pretty nasty pretty fast!!!

3. marinaboy

marinaboy Refuge Member

thank you capy jeff for that we will keep a close eye on the weather as usual!

4. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Max water depth is approx 12 feet....so it can be a washing machine real fast if the weather gets bad.

Also, be careful running...It might not be an issue this year with the lake artificially high(over 15 ft)....but there are a lot of limestone "rock" out there....

5. ibfishin1

ibfishin1 Refuge Member

Some of my buddies tried hunting the large rafts of birds several mile out in the open water. The birds would just get up and move a mile or so and not come back. They even saw teal out there with the divers.

6. marinaboy

marinaboy Refuge Member

we did quite well ! Thanks for all the help. Never found the large rafts offshore bet set up in the open and most everything we saw worked well. Killed 11 different species in three days. Great time and thanks for all the help!