Land Question

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Greekangler, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

It's a matter of what's for sale within my "optimal" driving time. If a property is within 1-2 hrs vs 3, I am more likely to use it during the week- also great for round trip use during days that I need to work. Any major impoundment work will be "farmed out" as I will be more engaged in the moist soil and spraying.

I have only bought a property one time before actually scouting area existing holes- big mistake. You cannot just rely that your positioned in a major flyway. If there is skinny water around or established wetlands or impoundments that sure does help.

Typically hunt with no more than 3 guns-25% solo and about 1/3 or time only w 2 guns. So, benefit is I can go w several 2-4 acre holes or maybe smaller and support my needs for a weekly hunt- as I can rotate other properties into mix

WRP easements tend to be a nightmare as well around here. Design issues, adding wells or more water post easement-even planting food plots involves pre-approval- typically not worth the effort- thoughts?

All great advise

2. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

I know this will be met with difference of opinion and I'm sure it varies by region but I personally would not consider buying a property already in WRP or a similar program..............too many restrictions IMO. I know there are some incredible WRP tracts out there that produce very good hunting. I just don't like the restrictions on blinds, food plots etc. Again, location first for me (we border a sanctuary/waterfowl refuge pool on one side and a public draw only pool on another). Size of property really not horribly important...........meaning I would rather have a 50 acre non-WRP property in a prime location over a 150 acre WRP property in poor or similar location. If money was not a limitation then a 500 acre tract with 250 in WRP and 250 in non-WRP next to a major refuge area would be ideal but that option was never in the cards for me.

We have 3 guys that own 45 acres of non-WRP and we put water on about 25 acres of that (flooded corn pool) The other 20 acres is bordering bottom ground. Our farmer plants our pool area (prep, planting, herbicide etc.) in return for taking the crop on the other 20 acres of dry ground that borders our pool area (it works very well for us). We have thought about developing the other 20 acres but not gone there as it has worked really well as our water/field setup for Snow geese in the Spring.

BTW. 1 partner lives within an hour and 2 of us live almost 3 hours away. It is a bit of a drive but it has never really bothered me having to make that trek. Looked at properties more locally many, many years ago but none come close to the flyway (Ducks and Snows) that we are in today.

1 month from today we open. Hurry up and get there!

3. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

We developed a property that was previously just a farm. Get in the flyway and get somewhere you can get water to pump & it can be successfully done.

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

The best case would be to have an area that floods naturally (occasionally), and already has ducks that use it. then compartmentize it, and control the water. leave plenty of food to rest ducks into the spring, and keep water on it in the spring as long as your farming practices will allow. This will "build some tradition" for migraiting/ imprinting ducks.

hannibal likes this.
  5. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

All great advice- looks like leaning towards combo- ability to drill a well important- and existing water on property as well. Improve what is there and add more water that can be manipulated.

bullpinnie likes this.