Landowner permission now required in SK before hunting

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by STUBBLE BUM, May 10, 2019.

1. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

I posted last season about multiple issues we had with other hunters not getting landowner permission last year. It's official. Moving forward land owner permission is now required before you can hunt.

https://thestarphoenix.com/pmn/news...K0-YnYzADAP0mpAC6coyoJaTjI#Echobox=1557349733

2. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

It is not only to hunt, but to even step foot or drive on any privately own land. So if you are spotting and need a better look before you enter that land you better have permission.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Won't change a thing I do up there.

Diver Slayer likes this.
  4. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Senior Refuge Member

The one trip I have taken so far, the fear of getting in any legal trouble while in a foreign country was enough to make sure we found every landowner and had permission. Helped that I plan to go back in the future when life allows it a little more, too and that it was not a one-off trip.

5. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

Been going up to Saskatchewan since 1990. Had signed letter of permission in our truck from landowner who at time owned a trucking company and was in Alberta working. A local guide tried to throw us off. We got the ugly Americans blah blah blah. We stood our ground produced the letter and called the RCMP for advise. We won and the local guide went back to farming and we struck up a friendship when he said he was wrong. He now scouts some for us and we rent a house from him for 2 weeks when we go up. We always got permission even in writing.

6. GooseChaser1

GooseChaser1 Senior Refuge Member

Good Morning Goose & Duck Chasers,

We have always ask for permission prior to hunting on someone land in SK since 1998, many time we were unable to reach the farmer or landowner if this happen we moved on to a field that we could get permission for.

This is all about respect for the landowner and his property.

We are heading North again in September & October 2019 and will use this same approach again, Permission first.

Dennis S.
    Rio Rancho, NM

7. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Elite Refuge Member

October 2019 will be my sixteenth consecutive year of hunting in Saskatchewan. We always gain permission from the landowner to hunt on their land, but I guarantee you that there are some that do not get permission. I am glad that it is now required to gain permission to hunt! This will cut down on the outlaw hunters that we have run into on occasion that do not even attempt to find the land owner. This will cut down on problems in the field and equalize the playing field between those that respect property rights and those that in the past did not.

8. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

I've always contacted the landowner or leasee. this won't change the guides that ask one time before the season and use it as standing permission for the rest of the season.

The issue i see going forward is cell phones. will be very difficult to contact owners if they don't have a landline.

9. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

I can see this being a game changer when scouting and trying to find a hunt in remote blocks of land. Do you need to get landowner permission to drive down every little two track now? Lots of hills in areas of southern Saskatchewan that limit seeing over the first rise. We cover hundreds of miles on gravel and dirt looking for birds.

10. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Nope, you just have to go at it with a different game plan. The only problem I see is when one is not smart enuff to get permission for the section they want to hunt. I had an outfitter once tell me I was on the wrong section. I proceeded to tell him who owned neighboring sections. When he called his contact for the corporate farm, he found out I had permission from his father. To quote the son, "Sounds like they can be there"