Lares problem

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by GooseNukem, Dec 30, 2018.

1. GooseNukem

GooseNukem Refuge Member

Recently having trouble with my lares hybrid. The call will at random just become ridiculously raspy and loose. Take the call apart and everything seems tight. Pull the reed and wedge out and put it back in and the call runs perfect for a few minutes and then it does it again. Any ideas on what the heck is going on with this call?

freefall likes this.
  2. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Replace the wedge. It could be slightly loose.

Did you buy it new?

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Try turning the call to change its toneboard orientation from horizontally up to horizontally down to vertical and see if the tone isn't changing with those different orientations. I gather it's a fairly common quirk among Lares calls and know it was the case with my T1. (As well as representatives of two other makes, but none of the way the hey too many other calls I've owned.)

HONKSRWORKN and NCBADGES like this.
  4. GooseNukem

GooseNukem Refuge Member

yeah i bought it new. Tried new wedge and still seems to be doing it. Its very puzzling. Did several live contests and hunted with it all season and just all of the sudden started doing this.

5. Swuebber

Swuebber Refuge Member

Check the reed, it may have delaminated. Will appear as a lighter shade on the delam.

HONKSRWORKN and freefall like this.
  6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Contact Brett, he'll get you squared away.

7. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

I’d definitely change reeds, if that doesn’t work call Brett. One thing I do is clean my calls once or twice a season with a straw brush, it helps with any build up of food saliva etc. you’d be amazed how the sound changes because of this.

8. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Its the orientation. Put the tone board on top (reed down) and blow it and then put the reed on top and blow it....you'll see/hear the difference. I guarantee its "loose" with the reed on top.

NCB

JD Danberg and HONKSRWORKN like this.
  9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’ve never gotten this line of thinking... every call I’ve ever tried, including Lares, runs exactly the same no matter how the tone board is oriented.

To the poster who suggested cleaning the reed, wedge, and tone board, that would be my suggestion. Warm soapy water and a cloth will do the ticket pretty quickly. Idk if that will solve the issue, but it would be the first thing I try and something that should be done every season regardless.

freefall and mudhen like this.
  10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Bret showed me a little trick to tighten up a loose wedge many years ago.
    Take the wedge out and take a razor knife or a super sharp knife and draw it across the front edge of the wedge a few times. What its doing is creating a little bur on the leading edge of the wedge. That little bur puts more pressure on the reed. It's the little things like this that always trip me out when I get to visit with Bret, which isn't very often.
    Tone board up on Lares calls works.:yes:yes:yes

HONKSRWORKN likes this.