lares to other single reeds

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Quakbangsplash, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Quakbangsplash

Quakbangsplash Refuge Member

I have been blowing a lares for a couple years and can definitely work ducks with it. I just got back from Arkansas hunting with a buddy of mine who is a great caller. I tried his call and had a hard time getting a duck out of it. It was a single reed as well and a lot of the calls I have been messing with lately seem to operate different then mine. I want to get another call to practice on and make sure I am presenting my air properly. I would like to eventually be able to pick up any call and blow it well. I have been looking at the RM calls as they seems to be held in high regards around here. Do they run more like a typical J frame single reed or are they super raspy and require "clean air" just like the lares? I am basically looking for another call that is similar to most in the way it runs as I hear a lot of people talk about how lares and cut downs require different techniques and I learned on a lares.
    Thanks for any feedback and I hope this makes sense.

2. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

The rasp is built into an RM boss. No need to grunt or growl...blow as you would into a single reed j-frame call with hot air.

STUMP

choc24/7 and DrakeStar like this.
  3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I have run Lares exclusively the last dozen or so years in the duck blind but I always try out a call or two a year. Lares unlike many don't stick and that is due to toneboard design. Lares can take a little more air than a lot of calls. If you have proper technique, within a minute you should be able to pickup most calls and produce a good sounding call. My son has developed into a great caller and he blows a Lares Hybrid and has an RNT daisy cutter on his lanyard and both sound great. It just takes some practice.

4. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Lares calls stick just like any other calls...biggest myth on this forum

choc24/7 likes this.
  5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I would strongly disagree that Lares "stick just like any call"
    By design they are very, very stick resistant. It is not a myth.

mudhen likes this.
  6. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Stick the same for me as any other call. Now tell me I’m not blowing it correctly.

choc24/7 likes this.
  7. grahler

grahler Senior Refuge Member

Don’t troll.
    Lares calls are consistent in tone regardless of moisture and don’t stick. They are really nice calls.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Technically any call can stick yet the propensity, likelihood, foregone conclusion or disposition to stick is far greater for many duck calls than a Lares duck call. If I look at an RNT call, it is already stuck. Back to the real question the poster asked, you should be able to blow any duck call reasonably well if you can operate a base duck call reasonably well.

9. HammerTimeBagley

HammerTimeBagley Senior Refuge Member

Lares T1 has a much tighter tone than its competitors. More of a zoned-in, tailored feel than with other similar single reeds. I cannot get as many ducks out of it as I can with some other calls, but the sounds I get from the Lares are very repeatable and dependable.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I've not made the Lares-only to others transition the OP is contemplating but did run a T-1 periodically during the 2016-17 season and liked it a lot better when it was the only call I used than when run in conjunction with my favorite RNTs. Not just because it wasn't as versatile in my hands, but because I found it inconsistent depending on toneboard orientation - except when it was the only call I'd run for a while. I'm not nearly smart enough to know why that might be, only that it was the case and bugged pee out of me. (Have only owned two other calls that changed tone with differing toneboard orientations, but both of those consistently did so regardless of being the only calls I ran for days at a time.)