lares to other single reeds

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Quakbangsplash, Jan 22, 2018.

1. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

If your purpose is to rile others up I have no need to listen to what you have to say....LOL.
    Again I do not use a Lares, but it is a well-built call that produces a quality sound. It is very possible you are not capable of running one. I know I'm not! but I don't blame the call. All you need to do is listen to someone that is...

2. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

oh, they stick just fine....there are plenty that are tougher to stick than a lares...want to talk hard to stick, go with the originator. doc hull. spit grooves that have nowhere to "drain" to do nothing but gather moisture.....i would take a well roughed up tone board anyday than a saliva trough

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Mr. Chokesonducks likes this.
  3. grahler

grahler Senior Refuge Member

No two parts machined are ever exactly alike. Everything has tolerances. Equipment itself is made with tolerances. Some machinery is more accurate. Setup has a lot to do with it as well as maintenance.
    If you can try 20 calls of one model from your typical company, you will probably find a good one, and you can bet the ones they use to make soundfiles with are good ones.
    When I tried Lares I was told they all sound the same and I didn’t believe it but after a couple I was like yep to my ear they do.
    I haven’t found any other manufacturer that can accomplish this.
    Haydels are great calls. La style baby FTW!

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Good job! You'd already out-paced me when you presumed a compliment to Lares' marketing to be a knock on his manufacturing.

5. Quakbangsplash

Quakbangsplash Refuge Member

appreciate all of the responses. I have never had any issues with the lares sticking with the longer reed and it sounds all duck to me. My buddy is older and by far the best duck caller/hunter I know but his calling is very different. I ordered a cwf and am excited to give it try. I just think the lares has soo much built in rattle and can handle soo much air that when I get on a call with more back pressure and doesn't require as much air it takes me some time to get a duck out of it. The posts about needing more pop in the beginning vs the lares make sense. The lares just seems ridiculously easy for me to blow. It just threw me for a loop as I learned on a lares and really have very little experience on other calls and to me the lares in closer to a mondo than the drake brake by buddy blows. I see callers really moaning and popping their diaphragms between each note where I am using my diaphragm as to build up tons of back pressure and using my tongue as a valve to just put straight air. No grunting, moaning, or popping my diaphragm for better or worse. I do need to work on going high to low on my greeting as it can sound kind of flat but it does sound like pure duck to me, maybe not duck callers but what I hear ducks doing. That is what interested me in lares/rm calls and guys like Brett and Seth vs other styles. Question is does that matter with ducks. The more I read ducks and hunt with others the more I'm convinced its more about timing and cadences than the sound.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

It's long seemed to me that, given a pretty low threshold of tone, tactical trumps technical. But that doesn't mean that tone can't make an appreciable difference...

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Choc 24/7
    I do not think Doc Hul was the originator of spit grooves. I seem to remember an email exchange I had with Doc where he credited Joe Lares with inspiring and or helping him in incorporating those in his calls.
    JJ Lares calls have helped so many callers (including me) break into running a single reed without the frustration of sticking.

choc24/7 likes this.
  8. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Doc had an actual section "cut out" of each side of the tone board, versus just grooves. I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

9. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

I wouldn't mind seeing that

10. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Doc Hull was the man when it came to designing calls that minimized sticking. He COULD have pattened his design but choose not to in an attempt to benifit the waterfowl community.

Stump

choc24/7 likes this.