Last Chance Gobblers.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by widgeon, May 9, 2016.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Our season ends next weekend and I have a chance to go hunt a farm where I know there are two HUGE cagey gobblers. They have been hunted hard. What's the best way to call'em in?

2. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Not to even try. Know their habits and sit in there living room. Patience kills toms.

3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

x 2 and pattern their routine well and they'll walk/strut right by ya'!!!

4. widgeon

That would be ideal, but I won't have time to pattern any turkeys. I'll have two days to hunt them. A friend of mine has been there a few times this season with no luck except getting a glimpse of them a couple of times.

5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Are they using fields, or staying in the woods?

Use your first day to locate where they are roosted. Listen and watch in the morning.

If you find them, stay with them and watch where they go to bed.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

If you can find where they roost, and they are roosting with hens, bust them off the roost at about midnight on a leisurely stroll through the woods. They will worry about those hens all night and act like jakes the next morning trying to find them. Not sure if I consider that ethical and I've never used the method, but it's one way to skin the cat... Method was told to my FIL by a very well know fella in the turkey hunting world.

7. widgeon

Good ideas!

8. Shot Caller

Shot Caller Senior Refuge Member

If you know where the birds are roosted at or if they a vocal on the tree. Get as tight to the roost as possible at first light. Dont know the lay of the land where you are at but most likely they will be roosted on a hillside overlooking a bottom or holler. Get above them if possible "top of a ridge" . Set patient and watch/listen for them to fly down. most likely will have hens roosted with them or really close. Once you know they are on the ground and if you are proficient with a gobble call give a series of yelps and answer yourself right back with a couple gobbles. Scratch the ground around you with your hand to make some noise. If they are gobbling back at this i would set still and wait. If they seem stuck and not moving then i would get aggressive with some fighting purrs and some scratching and a couple gobbles at the end. I dont normally like to gobble at birds but sometimes those 3 year old smart birds that is the only way to get their attention. Good luck

stevena198301 likes this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy who got 3 using Shot Callers method this year, all on public land.

widgeon likes this.
  10. widgeon

Hopefully it'll work out like that.