Last day for corn or milo

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Shell Shocked, May 30, 2017.

1. Shell Shocked

Shell Shocked Senior Refuge Member

Never bought corn before. It was what the COOP had on hand that was RR. I didn't realize there was so many varieties and had plenty of time if it weren't for the rain.

2. Chris Daniels

Chris Daniels Refuge Member

That works for me, wasn't sure if there was a particular reason why someone would choose a longer season corn vs. a shorter season for just duck corn. In your climate I'm sure the longer season stuff is more popular with farmers in the area but something that is planted this late in the year and will eventually be flooded I would think a shorter season variety would be fine. Then again price shouldn't differ a whole lot between maturities and I'm sure the Coop got you on the right path.

3. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

My farmer swears by the longer variety corn even if planted late (NW Missouri). He said he has tried both late and every time the longer variety corn will out-perform the shorter variety stuff…….bushels. Neither one produce like you want if not planted at the ideal time of year. He has planted our duck hole several times up to late June/early July due to "wet" issues and while it is not the ideal crop have had pretty good success with making corn for the ducks even with that late plant.

Good luck.