Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Last week.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Jimmy ski, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jimmy ski

Jimmy ski New Member

Water on my lease finally opened up hunted Kent island yesterday evening, still saw a healthy amount of geese but little to no ducks. We were able to shoot two single blacks, but the area that was once full of divers had no sign of them. Had a great day on the Potomac last Monday. Saw a massive migratory group of mallards and wigeons and got our two man limit but the next day saw only small groups of buffies with little to no other divers. Driving over the bridge yesterday saw a couple new redheads mixed in with the large group of blue bills but a decrease in overall duck numbers. Much of this is to be expected just wanted to share my scouting report and see what you guys are seeing. I've heard that guys in Cambridge shot some green wings in the last couple of days and even a report of woodies in the area. Good luck to everyone on the final weekend

The Other David likes this.
  2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Warm south winds pushing birds back to us and birds that stayed here through the freeze are able to go to new local places. My personal belief is that these birds are still hungry from limited eats earlier in the month, but they are spreadout. Sort of they are everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Jimmy ski and fielddog like this.
  3. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Oddly enough I saw Blackheads and a few Redheads on Lake Como in smyrna the other day...I had to take a triple take on the redheads.....I agree I think the birds are all over the place. We have been shooting limits on greenheads and blacks and several of the birds are pretty thin.. kinda like they just made the it down from up north and have not got a chance to put some fat back on.

4. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

4 ducks in Jan 2018.jpg
    Clock is ticking on the season boys and girls. Can't shoot them if you don't go out. Wind today pushed some ducks around. Pair of gadwalls and two mallards. Geese wanted nothing to do with water....loaded up in surrounding fields.

5. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    We hunted on Kent Island this morning... field to wet to drive down to the water blind for ducks, so carried out 17 stuffers
    to field edge. Geese headed/ flew over us and landed into the water for the first hour or two, and then at about 9:30 to 10:30 they worked us... ended up with a nice 3 man goose limit... only saw a handful of ducks.... guys hunting the booby blind across the creek may have had two opportunities at what appeared to be single blackheads... Yep, the best time of the year is coming to an end again....

6. oysterfarmer

oysterfarmer New Member

Nice afternoon to watch seagulls until I had 6 canvasbacks buzz the decoys they left as a 5 pack . Nice way to finish up the work week .

7. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

Last day of duck season for me. Ice was a bear today.....sleeping in tomorrow. last duck hunt 2017-2018.jpg

8. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Was nothing but Bills Bills Bills for our group last week and yesterday. Could not buy anything red (or green).
    P1270200.JPG

9. Big Chris

Big Chris Senior Refuge Member

Thousands of birds have come back to SE Pa.

10. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

P1260178.JPG But we did manage a few geese in the mix!

torrentduck likes this.