Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Last week.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Jimmy ski, Jan 23, 2018.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I was waiting for Scotty to respond back as I knew it wasn't an 1187. Had a very old 1100 magnum that I used to choot for quite some time. had many hunts around the water and in and out of boats chasing divers and it slowly started to show its age and abuse despite regular cleanings and oilings. I eventually went redneck on it and sprayed it flat black and put on the synthetic stock and forearm. Looked almost brand new. It is retired now. I have a friend that has a black SBE1 that looks very similar to Scotty's gun in the pic. we give him some crap at times for the look of his gun and his comment is the gun shoots flawlessly and he could care less what it looks like.

Congrats on the good hunt! Looks like a nice mixed bag.

Scotty likes this.
  2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I had a gun Cerokoted over the summer and am generally happy with the way it turned out. Thing was an absolute rust magnet prior to that. My day in day out gun gave up the ghost this season when a piece of the barrel broke off in the receiver.

3. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

What type of gun? Assume it happened while shooting?

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Franchi I-12 (inertia). I am going to call them.

Happened on the first shot without me realizing, then the gun seemed jammed. I worked the bolt and was able to shoot two more crip shots and then while reloading noticed a hunk of metal sitting on top of the shell carrier. Still didn't know what it was until I got home and tore it apart. It looks like about 1/3 of a wedding ring but is the end of the barrel. I'm bummed, but it may be excuse to buy an M2.

5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Luv my ol M2 . You wont regret getting one. Just don't get a black one. Black Benelli,s will rust around a salt air breeze let alone water. Never an issue with my dipped one.

6. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Well since this post went sideways. What’s the best pump gun u guys recommend. I don’t feel like dealing with semis or the money. As for last week I went last day n dad killed his first red head after 30 yeRs of duck hunting so it was a great finish. Was a good year just wish I had the same free time as last year.

7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Cant go wrong with an 870

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

870 express, NOVA, BPS$, 870 Wingmaster$. For around what you spend for a 870 Express 3.5 waterfowls/turkey, you can buy a USA made Baretta 300 ( 3 inch) black synthetic auto.

9. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I’m glad everyone has a safe season

10. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

whatever you buy- go with a camo dipped gun. anything else is just plain terrible in the salt marsh. those matte finishes are the worst. just more surface area for the rust. even traditional blueing is better than those. i had friends who sanded their 870s down then painted them with black rustoleum. worked pretty well.

since people are talking guns, i shot a camo mossberg 835 for several years then a camo browning gold i got in 1999. both have been great. learned that with the gold, less is more. it gets cleaned once a year and thats it.