Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Last week.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Jimmy ski, Jan 23, 2018.

1. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

I love my Browning BPS 12. 870 is my backup waterfowl gun and my turkey/slug gun

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

For a pump gun - Buy an excellent condition used 870 Wingmaster in 3inch (patience will pay off finding one around $300) with screw in chokes and then get it Cerokoted in matte black or fancy dancy color (about $100). No rust on the outside and she'll run smooth. The 870 Expresses are junk. Browning BPS are great but they tend to jam and jam bad if you short shuck at all.

Back to the LAST WEEK ...they didn't fly this morning. We went to water thinking it would be the ticket, they just didn't really fly and the ones that did were all doing something different (coming to water, going to feed, just flying around lost, left to feed late) Buddy killed one and then missed one at 9.5 yards.

3. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Worst duck season ever. Except maybe my first season. Don’t keep count but less than 50 ducks and maybe 20 Canada geese. As for pumps old 870 gets it done. I used to think the NOVAs were **** but my boy got a super NOVA and it sucks wont shuck reliably he is very bent about it. Cerakote is the way to go on those black benellis if you don’t like the factory brownish rust color they morph into after opening

4. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Yea my browning gold only got one good cleaning a year n 8 years later she’s in the shop. My 835 is getting retired to my deer n turkey gun only. I hate the 500 I got not very reliable. Shot my dads extra gun which is a nova n it jammed up last day. Looking hard at the over under stoeger but deff leaning towards a reg 870 or the Winchester. Just not spending 1500 on a new gun n not that my browning had any issues for a good while just thinking about limiting the chances of something not going boom.

5. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

You still have that 870 chrome lifter magnum I sold you a few years ago?

Et Al,

Can't go wrong with a Remington 870 standard model but not the Express, easy to work on and easy to find parts if ever needed, the older 870 magnum's good choice just have the full choke relieved a few thousands.

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

It is my go to goose gun so long as the weather is decent. Love that thing!

7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

And for auto loaders the stoegers are great guns at a good price

Since were talking guns now

8. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

I think my best season ever puddlers divers and geese. Got some very nice invites.

Nova is a good gun. Won a d DU one.. Rain gun; easy to take apart and clean. trick is loading it properly. put 2 in the mag shuck to load. add another to the mag. dont do anything else dont worry about the carrier position..

9. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Great to the season. 2 Man limit of long necks over water on a mid day hunt. Depression now setting in until turkey season.

P2030215.JPG

10. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Nice pic and congrats on the limit. we had one toll in the morning and managed 3 between 3 of us. Had some others light just outside of range. all in all a good day. looking forward to assisting with a youth hunt next week and start the clean up of all the decoys, blinds, and pit tops. Looking forward to the longer days so I can get in more training with my pup. she had a chilly swim this morning and came back in with Icecicles all over her.