Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

last weekends drawings

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by ten times better, Jun 8, 2017.

1. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

we got 3rd draw and our 2nd choice, super good guy drew 2nd and got #1 blind , 1st draw took our absolute last pick ???????. anyone else do any good. p.s. I've hunted now 64 yrs but after watching who got some of the blinds [wow] I'm hunting with the wrong guys.[OUR GUYS GOT HAIRY LEGS] when we registered today the boys said 1000 plus cards for 74 blinds. AND THEY SAY THE # OF HUNTERS IS DOWN

2. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

1000 people for 74 blinds I will take those odds. Where we were at it was 874 for 29 blinds. Some how our group of 30 to 40 people drew 3 blinds luck was on our side. Now the work begins

3. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

It was 876. 276 more than six years ago and 176 more than three years ago :reader:eek::z:mad:

Things heard at the draw ( or slightly after the draw ) :
    "Is number "X" a good spot " ?

"Why does he keep mixing them up like that ?! " ( in ref. to the site guy spinning the tumbler...what the hell is a tumbler for ?! )

"Iv'e never hunted here before. WHEN I get drawn, which blind should I take ?"

10 minutes til draw ... "OK, What do I need to sign up ?"

In some ways the draw is enjoyable and gets over way to quickly, but on the other hand, I'm glad its every three years.

Heck, how many lost kids were there that day ?...2 ?

4. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Ten,
    The number of waterfowlers is down, despite what you see at the drawings. Illinois averaged about 66,000 state waterfowl stamps sold thru 2005-2014. In the last two years, sales are around 56,000.
    IMHO, many waterfowlers that formerly hunted private ground have lost out to high leasing costs, forcing them to the public draws if they want to continue hunting.
    Also, I know that lots of the names I hear drawn are from far out of the area. At one drawing I used to attend, one group numbered well over a hundred. In listening to conversations, it was apparent that some of these guys had attended numerous drawings, helping friends.
    I would LOVE to see ALL state drawings held on the same day. That would definitely cut down on some individuals going from drawing to drawing.

DEADEYE likes this.
  5. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

or, you could just make it where only two names could be on a blind & one of those two had to be present on any day to hunt said blind.

6. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

My own observations and some hear-say/scuttle butt :

3 guys can own a blind and at least one needs to sign it up daily to claim it. Anymore than three owners and I think it would create less opportunities for those in a daily draw to hunt when owners are not there i.e. if there were more owners than that, the odds of at least one of those signing up daily would be high.

I've heard some discussion where the three potential owners sign up on one card. If that card gets drawn, there are your three owners, thus no big-party sign up / hopefuls in the draw. Thing is, what happens if they want to switch a name later on ? Or there is a falling - out between parties or someone dies or moves away ?

The lake I frequent used to be a one year draw. It is now a 3 year. I like the three year. There was a survey looong ago ( I think a waterfowl group had the survey, not the State) asking if guys wanted up to a 5 year draw. 5 years is a great time to be on a good blind, but without a blind, 5 years would feel like a lifetime....no thanks.

I've heard some local boys suggest a computer / Springfield draw to dictate who owns what blind at any given site....um, no thanks.

There was some "booing" when out-of-staters got drawn. More and more locals have suggested that like our shotgun deer permit draw, dove permit draws, etc., we make the duck blind draws "residents first". I am in agreement with that.

7. greenheadIL

Im 100% on board with not letting OOS in the draw.They can be added as a builder but should not be allowed in the draw. Please no computer. People who don't get drawn are always going to complain about how the cards are drawn.
    This thought crossed my mind sunday while looking at all the people drawing. What if there was a $5 fee to get in the draw and that money had to stay at the site and be used for waterfowl related expensive. Would $4500 make that big of a difference? Would the state try to take the money out of there original budget(if we had one)? I know we already pay for license stamps ect... but really those cost are pretty small compared to what we send on all of the other stuff.

8. greenheadIL

In this part of the state they are. Sunday had 11 blind draws from the Hardin area down to just north of St. Louis. 8/9000 names in the barrels this Sunday?????

9. duck_killer00

duck_killer00 Senior Refuge Member

I boo'd some state employee running the draw who shall remain nameless so he decided to not draw my name....eh still worth it ;)

riverrat47 likes this.
  10. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

imo that idea of having the whole state in one day does seem to have a lot of merit also what about the last 2 hunting lis. with both state stamps[which would help reducing the amount of cards] like I hinted in the opening there were at least 5 blinds that went to ladies that I know don't hunt and I know another 1 at least that went to a guy with a private blind that this will be the only yr. his name is on it. I think because of the greed it may be time to have a fee paid up front for the blinds. I am sad to say several older gentlemen who hunt daily were shut out. most of u r to young to remember when we had a blind for life that wasn't fair either but it sure hurt deep when we lost them. wish I had the answers.