Last Youth Hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by bill cooksey, Mar 27, 2016.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Last youth hunt for Bill V. He batted a thousand on youth turkey hunts.
    20160326_070717.jpg DSC07719.JPG

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Looks like he is playing peek-a-boo on that second pic... That looks like a very good bird with sincere enjoyment... Great job:tu

3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Nice job Bill. I'm sure he has learned a lot spending time in the woods with his old man.

4. bill cooksey

Considering the sun hasn't cleared the trees before a bird was flopping on any of his youth hunts, I'm not sure how much he's learned on them, but he's been on plenty of tough regular season hunts complete with silent birds, death marches and tag soup.

I rarely roost birds due to time and distance, and he'd never roosted one with me before (time, distance and school). This time he got the whole experience; complete with the two we set up on moving 500 yards during the night (actually I assumed they'd flown up Friday evening). Don't you hate that feeling?

5. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Turkeys sure aren't ever a, "sure thing" :doh
    Congrats to ya' both on many successful hunts, and may you have many more :tu

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Dumbest thing I hunt, and they cause me more frustration than any other critter... Keen vision and hearing, and as one person put it, "one foot on the panic button at all times."

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. duck recruiter

duck recruiter Senior Refuge Member

Great job Bill! I am headed to Middle TN in a couple hours. Will be my first hunt of the year in the morning. I've got an itch. Been listening to them for a couple weeks around the house and even heard a couple at camp during the last week of duck season. Most years we would have already been chasing them in MS, AL or FL; but twin 2 year old daughters born on 3/16/14 have changed those plans for dad and grandpaw the last couple years. AR season starts on 4/16 and runs for 16 days. MO starts on 4/18. My plan is to start at our camp on opening weekend, maybe through Monday depending on the gobbling. Hunt from the house Tuesday-Friday while working the afternoons. After work Friday afternoon head up to MO. Hunt there 4 or 5 days; then come home and finish the season out from the house. Would usually plan a trip back to MO for their last weekend but my dad has surgery scheduled for Thursday 5/5 and while he insists that I should go back; I want to be around to help my mom keep him corralled.

8. bill cooksey

Good luck this weekend, and the rest of your season too. If you cross the TN River on I40 tonight, you'll be a couple of miles from me. I'll be at our cabin, but I won't be turkey hunting. The only place around there that won't be overrun opening weekend requires a boat to access, and the water is too low to get there right now. Hopefully the crappie will bite.

9. duck recruiter

duck recruiter Senior Refuge Member

Well....we are very close to you. I am in the cherry bottoms, hunting very near where the buffalo meets the duck. My dad is cooking crappie and we are getting ready to get after them in the am. Been hunting this ground since the turkeys renihabited it in the early 2000's. I love hunting over here. While there aren't many ducks, the TN river basin is an amazing area to spend time. There is a lot of public ground in this area but we are only hunting private. Good luck to all. Be safe, I'm going to call the boss then mix a strong burbon/soda.

10. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Congrats to both of you. My eldest will hunt his last youth season this weekend. Where did the time go?

bill cooksey likes this.