Late season geese tips

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by calstefanko, Jan 2, 2017.

1. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Need some tips on late season geese and where to find them. Not much open water around, rivers and only one lake in the area are open right now. Also how should I traffic the geese if I can't get on the X? not too familiar with late season geese.

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Can't hunt the X, get under their flight path from roost to where they are feeding. Big spread and usually lots of calling to pull them off of where they really wanna be. Highly pressured birds, realism(calling, decoys, setup)and your hide are key.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

All great advice by negooseman,I would use a flag if your hide allows it but would only do it until they are turned in your direction.What I mean is if you are in a pit or layout where a flag is within the decoy spread.

4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Need to find them first. Where they are roosting and where they are going to feed and or flight patterns of traffic birds. Then you can make the determination on what your setup will be once you secure a location. Be prepared to put some scouting time and miles in to locate them.

5. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Just found around 300 geese flying around today, ill go from there

Waterdog Trainer likes this.
  6. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Like stated above , if you can't get the X , try and find a place you can get under them .... And most important build a great hide , if you can call and flag without worry of them picking you out , you should fool a few into shooting range ... Late season birds seem to be much more leary of big spreads and typical set ups .... I run as few as 8 DSD honkers and fool big flocks , think outside the box .... I set up a few in the field and a couple on the haul road ... IMO It works because it's different than the norm ... It doesn't hurt to try something different ...
    Good luck

7. Dave@hcdu

Dave@hcdu New Member

I know this a month too late but I run traffic almost all year. 4 dozen full bodies. 3 dozen shells 4 dozen silhouettes., lucky goose flapper,1 sillosocks fully flocked flyer. tried them all, not all at the same time mind you as I usually hunt alone, added 2 lucky duck goose magnets to the sillosock flyer and made a huge difference, also painted the the all black sillosock flyer with brown and tan with a little white wing detail may have helped. this is purely my experience. but I have hunted the same or nearby fields for the last several years and after I added the goose magnets I feel it made a big difference. really the only thing I can say that has helped after trying several different spreads,

8. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Run traffic 10 dozen plus and hunt the open water if there using it or set up on there flight path

9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Gotta hunt where there are birds.
    I kill most of my birds on a traffic field,.. this year all except two hunts were traffic.
    Weve cut our spread by over 12 dozen decoys. since two years ago. a good hide, good decoys and hunt right

I often hunt fields with other hunters. I loose a few birds to big spreads. But we also kill birds close. We had some nasty and deep snow days. A tough hike out to the field I had 3 hunts in a row where I used 6 full bodies. Its not always about number of decoys