Later Season Framework

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by jeffc, Jan 2, 2018.

1. jeffc

jeffc Senior Refuge Member

With the North Zone duck season winding down today in Missouri, I am wondering if those that lobbied so hard, and so successfully, for the later season are happy with the result. I am interested if they believe more ducks were harvested in the zone this week than could have been harvested the last week in October. I am interested if they believe there was more hunter activity this week than there would have been the last week in October.

Let's hear it.

Thanks,
    Jeff Churan
    Chillicothe

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

If you remember last year it was 65 degrees Christmas day and in the mid 50's to 60's for the entire last week of December, last January 2 it was around 50 here. This year is not the norm we have been having the past few years.
    Believe me Jeff if you could get your crystal ball out and tell us how the weather will be a year in advance I'd be the first one to listen.

WHUP ! Hen and i_willie12 like this.
  3. Truman

Truman Refuge Member

I would rather gamble on the later season. IF the weather would have cooperated the week between the holidays would have been a great time to spend with the family hunting. Kids are out of school, office is quiet, and Mom wants the kids out of the house....a winner for all! Every season is different but the game changer this year was the 10" rain that put everything for us underwater. But since it was subzero I found myself digging out this book and giving it a read. upload_2018-1-2_9-1-26.png

longshot lucas and i_willie12 like this.
  4. drakenuts

drakenuts Refuge Member

Private club guys with shallow water and even some public park guys that only hunt public parks would probably not like this, but I believe some spectacular hunts happened along the rivers for those that adapted and didn't stick with their traditional spots. Those type of hunts with limits of greenheads are not as possible in October in the mid 20's of dates most every year. I agree with Truman, I'd rather roll the dice and have a chance to have a spectacular hunt with the family and friends over any date over their Christmas Break and work around the weather then have a week in October. A chance exists, the quality of hunting for some was better this year with that later start, I know of one or two refuges that loaded up even more then normal and kept a larger amount of birds around once the hunting season got going most likely because of it. This caused better hunts for many that adapted to where the birds were. I know refuges are debatable, in my mind, they are essential, every state is jealous of what we have. If you don't like it, move.........I bet you'll be back.

wakenda, riverrat09 and i_willie12 like this.
  5. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

I want nothing to do with October....

6. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

The chance to hunt small number of scattered ducks until 830 9am, once the sun gets up and temps rise or the chance to hunt large number of concentrated BIG ducks all day.... I'll take later every time!!! Been wanting this for years!! And side note we didn't kill that many this week! But was far better than anything that would have happened on Oct 27th. We hunt everything shallow water private/public, big ponds, fields Don't pigeon hole yourself to 1 type of hunting adapt!

Like mentioned above, 2 weeks ago we were all complaining about the warm weather and ducks not moving. The norm is temps in the 40's right now, not -temps, we are breaking 150 year old records the last 3 days. 150 YEAR OLD!!!!!!!!!!! And I still rather lay in a field sun up to sun down than swat bugs

7. Duckman Racing

Duckman Racing Elite Refuge Member

Hunted a corn field this past Saturday and had enough ducks through the spread that we should have killed our limit, but poor shooting and gun malfunctions due to the cold meant we only killed a few. Even with the cold temps I saw far more birds on Saturday than I saw on opening day. Highlight of the day was a flock of 250+ gadwall that dropped from the heavens straight into the decoys.

DuckMan62, wakenda, 10GAGENUT and 2 others like this.
  8. riverrat09

riverrat09 Senior Refuge Member

Agreed, I'm in favor of gambling with the later season frame work.

One thing though that it seems to me, but maybe I'm wrong, is that for some of the North Zone people such as myself that were pushing for a later season was because of the high number of Mallards that are in the MO River bottoms late in the year (late Dec/ Early Jan.) that they want to be able to hunt.
    So when I attended meetings and filled out surveys I pushed for a later season in the North Zone while at the same time I made a push to move the Middle Zone boundary north to Hwy 10. When it was all said and done the MO River bottoms where I hunt got moved into the Middle Zone making my season later regardless of the dates of the North Zone. As a result I was pushing for a later North Zone season but due to the zone change, I no longer care what the North Zone season dates are.
    I can completely understand how some of the North Zone people are unhappy because the bulk of the birds late in the year especially on very cold years shift to the MO River bottoms which is now in the Middle Zone leaving the North Zone with low numbers of birds left to hunt.

I'm curious how many people were like myself and pushed for a later North Zone season when simply shifting the Middle Zone north achieved your desire to hunt later without having to change the North Zone dates?

Also, of the people that are unhappy and want an earlier season what zones or areas do you hunt?
    I know that quite a few of the unhappy people on here are in the North Zone and Grand River bottoms, and I can completely understand why a high number of people in these areas would prefer earlier than later seasons as they usually don't see a benefit of late season freezing conditions.

DuckMan62 and 10GAGENUT like this.
  9. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I'm another vote for the late week. I enjoyed two big water hunts in the north zone this past week and agree that having the option over Christmas break is very nice. I did have to bust some ice in my boat both times and had to search for open ramps, and I saw a lot of birds and killed some on both hunts. There are still open water areas that could be hunted today.

And I'm happy that I get to choose this coming weekend the middle or south zone based on what looks best.

I have no private ground to hunt in the north zone and I'm willing to hunt big water in frigid conditions, and prefer this over early season hunting. Part of this is because the draw areas and private clubs have the early season habitat where the birds are, and I dislike the usual madness of the CA's and rather hunt freely without the competition in late season.

Last year it warmed up the last week of the north zone and there was a lot more places I could access, but the birds spread back out. I prefer the ice-up and concentrated birds.

DuckMan62, i_willie12 and riverrat09 like this.
  10. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I hunt private in NWMO and lobbied for a later season. We had open water in front of our blind and still had birds using it as of the 26th of December (last hunt I was able to partake in this season). It's always better later in the season than it is early. I'll take a year like this once out of every 4 compared to hunting in October.

hardhuntr, wakenda, 10GAGENUT and 2 others like this.