Later Season Framework

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by jeffc, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mallet67

Mallet67 Senior Refuge Member

2. Mallet67

Mallet67 Senior Refuge Member

I'm for later framework. And Jeff I don't see how you can compare the number of Hunter days from the first week to the last no matter what the weather did. You will always have more people hunting early in the season no matter what.

3. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

^agreed!

Of the hunters that are out this week that number is lower but the hours spent in field is higher. Opening week hunter numbers are higher but the hours spent in field are lower. You don't hunt past 930am the first 2 weeks of season. And the amount of birds seen in the last week of season is probably %400 higher. Opening weekend was so bad this year we didn't even hunt sunday, didn't even touch our guns opening day, and probably saw 5-6 groups The first opener we didn't kill anything in years!

wakenda, riverrat09 and 10GAGENUT like this.
  4. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

We had a great opening weekend including mallards - you must not have done your scouting and found the birds! (just a jab a ya for when you are in the birds in the late season and blame the lack of others success on not adapting). Grand Pass was into its peak of hunter kill average when the season closed Nov 11-15.

As a skinny water private land hunter I was a weak supporter of a later season. Rather than shoot a limit of ducks Nov 11 I sat in a tree. I did have an overall off season due to a number of factors:
    -heavy flooding all summer prevented growth of duck vittles on my place, but at least we had water
    -dry fall caused nearby COE reservoir to be a foot below normal pool so it was a mud hole without duck food
    -unseasonably warm then froze up solid.

Here's to a great season next year!!

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

We could solve the problem very easily and start demanding we get a statewide 107 day season like the Pacific flyway does.:yes
    Poor Jeff will have a coronary on that thought...:D

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

Ya mean on the drive down to his place in Arkansas???

WHUP ! Hen, 10GAGENUT and i_willie12 like this.
  7. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

I have been hunting the Missouri river bottoms since 1988. This is the hardest season I have had since 2003 or 2004 can't remember which but that year i didn't fire a shot the week duck season closed they wondered across my yard constantly going from one corn field to the other. I had to be mobile or I won't have got anything. I have never had a season where the ducks only went one direction off of grand pass the whole season. That said the season closed to early in the past, more often than not the bulk of the mallards arrived after the season closed. Until about Nov 15 any duck around here is on grand pass and won't leave. Usually the off refuge hunting didn't start till the first week of dec. 2017 goes down as an off year not to be seen often as 2015 went down as the best season anyone can remember. I will be at the next round of meetings in 5 years pushing for a November 15 opener if they decide to cut out what they call moriver west out and make us our own zone then great.

feetdown71 likes this.
  8. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

It's not the dates itts the weather.. Moving the season dates by one week at the beginning vs the end really doesn't matter IMO. The bulk of the big duck migration will generally come between Nov 10 and Dec 10. Some years there will be a big move early and some years a big move late. The season framework is not going to accommodate mother nature unfortunately. I like the late framework.

Time for Snows now!!!!

9. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

We missed a big flight day on the last Sunday of October that would have been awesome. We were completely froze up with very few ducks the last two weeks. If Grand Pass and the Dalton cutoff would have been moved to the middle Zone the North Zone would probably have stayed the same.

We have 4 more years to experience and then vote again.

10. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member