Later Season Framework

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by jeffc, Jan 2, 2018.

1. wilhelmina slim

wilhelmina slim Senior Refuge Member

I am still killing ducks in south zone and will till season ends and I am sure all zones will kill duck's until the season ends in each zone. What I was looking at is that some zones have more WMA's than others, North 5, Middle 9 and South 1. The south zone starts at Cape Girardeau and there is only 1 managed WMA in that zone. I attended every meeting in my area for years, send emails and fill out surveys they send and I always bring this up and it never changes. In my 65 years of waterfowl hunting I have seen all types of weather changes, flight patterns change etc. I just think the zones should be a little more fair for south zone. I hunt more AR than MO because AR WMA's are bigger and mores hunters and be spread out more.

2. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

So, not to argue, but there are more than just one conservation area in the south zone. There's even more than one conservation area that's intensively managed for waterfowl in the south zone - Ten Mile Pond, Coon Island, and Black Island come to mind. There's only one that restricts access through a daily draw. I don't believe MDC institutes daily draw programs on conservation areas based on zone boundaries.

3. wilhelmina slim

I should have said draw WMA's Coon Island, Black Island, Hornersville, Cash, etc these are WMAs but not draw units. Do not know bout all of them but Coon Island is grass no food on North end as far as Coon Island park not a lot of food see lots of grass. Cash has to flood from St Francis river, Hornersville has to flood from floodway ditiches etc. I am sure North and Middle zone has several WMA's that are not draw.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

We've been arguing this point with MDC for years, 15 years ago I went to a few of the meetings and asked them why we need three zones. Got some BS answer about how the migrations work, I then suggested the two zones with the state split about in half, basically fell on deaf ears. I never went to any of the meetings after that.

5. riverrat09

riverrat09 Senior Refuge Member

Thousands of birds still in the MO River bottoms for the people still braving the cold. I've most definitely enjoyed the later season framework as I've harvested more birds this week then I had all season. There are plenty of other people doing the same.
    Prior to this year we wouldn't have been able to still be hunting past Christmas. Only praises for me on this late season framework.

wakenda, MrMallard88 and i_willie12 like this.
  6. sgt duck

sgt duck Senior Refuge Member

riverrat09 glad you and others are having late season success. But for shallow water hunters in north Missouri our season ended on Christmas day due to freeze up. For me I would like season dates as it was before. We missed the first migration Oct 28,29 this year. It all depends how and where you hunt. Just glad you and others are having a good year. Tim(sgt duck)

7. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

I think it is pretty obvious from the harvest data over a ten year period where Otter Slough belongs. If you look at this year Otter killed 4756 ducks in the first 14 days of the season which is 348% more than the last 14 days when they only killed 1365 ducks. The weather was fairly typical for Otter with a heavy freeze up late in the season. One thing that did help Otter this year was the lack of big rains during the season which typically scatters the ducks for a few days.
    Why don't you hunt there anymore? Not that I want to encourage anyone to start hunting there.

8. wilhelmina slim

OS is about 10 miles from south zone, I do no think the harvest data would change that much or not at all. It could be put in south zone and still have the same result. When I started hunting OS there where only 8 blinds on the area no fields just old lake. Over the years the area offered more hunting places which was good and more hunters came. It got to the place for me it was not worth waiting in line for 2 hours just to go home because 100+ parties trying to hunt 30 places. When quick draw came I said that was it for me it is a good place to hunt if this is what you like. I only hunt MO now when Black river floods. Most of my 60+ years of waterfowl hunting has been in AR.

9. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

West side needs a south zone area.

Put unit 4 of four rivers in south zone, have river split the zones

feetdown71 likes this.
  10. feetdown71

feetdown71 Senior Refuge Member

North middle zone line be the line for the south zone. Just have 2 zones. Unless the $$ talkers on the east side can do what they like with their area, as the ol'boys in the Mound city area could do the same. How ever whatever they have to do with zoneing and season framing, state feds whatever.......... That Missouri river bottom should be in the latest zone possible in my opinion.