Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Layout blind smell

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by isu22andy, Sep 12, 2018.

1. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

My layout blind smells like mouse **** and a combination of mold must dust. Any reccomendations on how to clean it ? I threw some soap in there and rinsed it out with a hose but the smell remains .

Andy

2. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Use it more lol. No really I would go get some de greaser and let it soak for a while before I sprayed it down. At least you weren’t like me and pull it down off rafter in shop and a rat snake smack you in the face. Almost had a new door in shop.

3. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Simple green... Get it good and wet. Spray with simple green and use a scrub brush. You need to really work it into the material. Rinse it really well and let it dry out.

Vammy likes this.
  4. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Fabreze

5. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

I had the same issue.
    Breakfast burritos were the cause...
    Just kidding. It was from putting them in storage when they were still wet.
    I took a 5 gallon bucket of water and mixed about 2 cups bleach into it. I then used a stiff bristle brush and scrubbed the hell out of it with the bleach mixture. A lot it soak for a while. Repeat as needed.
    Wash really good with hose and let it dry opened up and leaning upright against something. I then sprayed Fabreze inside of it when it was dry.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If simple green doesn't work (it should), try vinegar. Vinegar fixes everything. Constipated? Vinegar. Diarrhea? Vinegar. Lost an arm to a shark last week? Vinegar.

7. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

Another vote for Simple Green. And in the future, to prevent mice from taking up residence in your layout blind (or anywhere else), use this:

https://www.atwoods.com/bonide-mouse-magic-12-pack.html

Just chuck a pouch or 2 in your blind and you're good. And, your blind will smell minty fresh lol

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Vinegar...the cure all. High blood pressure? Apple cider vinegar, 1 tbl spoon a day. Rinse well with water. The acid can hurt your teeth if not. My dog was sluggish. 9 year old Lab. Started giving her one tbl spoon of Apple Cider vinegar ( non pasteurized) and within a week she's back to being clownish at 9 years old. Bounces around now like she used to.

freefall and stevena198301 like this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Gotta make sure to get the one with "The Mother" in it. :nutz

10. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

This...
    I shoot the backpack leaf blower into the layout and spray fabreze in front of the blower chute. pushes all the stuff out of the fabric and seems to bury the fabreze in it. Smells like a dryer sheet for a few weeks. You may also want to put vodka in a spray bottle and mist the thing in and out. It'll kill the spores.