Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Layout blinds or white suits?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by johnpaul, Jan 14, 2016.

1. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

New to snow goose hunting. I have a buddy with access to quite a bit of stuff in NE Arkansas and we are going to go give it a try this year. We have 20 dozen sillosocks, 10 dozen full bodies, and 20 dozen - 5/8's shells. We will be hunting with 7 or 8 people. We have layout blinds and white tyvek suits. With that amount of decoys do you think we would be better off trying to hide layouts really well along a turn row, fence, ditch, etc. and setting decoys a little ways out in front of us or hiding in white tyvek suits in the decoys?

2. smackin snows

smackin snows Senior Refuge Member

Comfort wise I'd go layouts but it would be hard to hide that many of them. If there is some taller cover around I'd hide there, but if it's cut really short I'd go white suits

3. Gussleyer

Gussleyer Refuge Member Sponsor

Both will work depending on the the field. More and more people are hunting in whites. (My opinion)
    If you have a good rice field then go with layouts. I never hunt with layout blinds and here are the reasons, stubble falls off constantly and that gives us more work, the fields usually don't work because of ground cover, you can't see very well out of the layout blinds, they cast shadows. When I wear whites I can walk around and it draws the birds in more with the movement, I can see in all directions without being crammed into a layout, the sun hits me and that always feels nice, no shadows, much more mobile in the spread if we need move because of the wind.

Either way your good to go.

4. kswaterfowler82

kswaterfowler82 New Member

A few years ago we made the conversion from layout to whites. In my opinion there is no reason to do all the extra work and hassle to have to corn up your laydown blinds especially if there are several people. In addition, it's already difficult to hunt snows in a stubble field that has not been plowed or disc due to the stalks getting in the way of the moving socks (if you are using some type of sock which everyone is for the most part) which means you are then trying to hide them in almost no cover. White suits work excellent and if you have enough decoys you are absolutely invisible to the geese, even very large flocks. Save time and hassle, go white suits.

5. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

Is 50 dozen enough decoys? Or would I be much better off trying to round up another 20 dozen or so socks? Not sure if I will be able to but if y'all think it would be a big advantage I can definitely try.

6. LuxuryHunter

LuxuryHunter Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Whites all the way. You can never have too many snow goose decoys IMO. Good luck! It's a blast!

7. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

Do y'all paint black X's on the white suits to simulate the wing tips of a snow goose or is that pointless?

8. teamoutlaw

teamoutlaw Elite Refuge Member

I dont i just throw on the white suit and off I go

9. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Have any of you felt like you were getting busted in your whites? I totally see the benefits of laying out in whites and have done do so in Tyvek suites occasionally over the years. But from the perspective of fooling geese into really close range, we have always done better in layout blinds. This fall three of us bought full suites of whites from Waterfowl Outfitters for our Canada trip. Frequently, the birds locked up on final for the kill hole seemed to be busting us at about 60 yards. Especially as it got lighter out. Many of the flocks would avoid "us" in the suites in the center and hit off to the edge right in front of a couple guys in Tyvek coveralls. As we examined this, side by side, the white suites we purchased looked relatively blue compared to the Tyvek. Then a couple of weeks ago hunting snows, in a similar situation, we saw similar results. So we left the spread and changed into Tyvek coveralls. The snows that wanted to work seemed to no longer be busting us, though we didn't have many opportunities after the clothing change to really know for sure.

Since this, we all have run the suites through the wash using Sportwash. I have not had the chance to see if that made a difference. Do you all think type of whites you wear can be crucial? Or do some of you find any old whites will do?

10. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member