Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Layout blinds or white suits?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by johnpaul, Jan 14, 2016.

1. LuxuryHunter

LuxuryHunter Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Bought some tyvek last year to cover our pit lids when it snows. Says tyvek right on it, but had a butcher paper sound and texture. Must be different types available.

The coat that I'm wearing in the photo with Blue Ross was bought at Norco. They are made by DuPont and are the correct tyvek

2. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Yes there are different grades of Tyvek the butcher paper grade is what is used on house construction, house wrap. I know when I was purchasing it (Fabric like material) I used the 1443R. I am pretty sure that is what most sock manufactures use.

LuxuryHunter likes this.
  3. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

I think I know what youre talking about, and in that case I completely agree with you. This would be the same color and everything as a decoy.

4. cornking

cornking Senior Refuge Member

The cheap plastic lawn chairs you can buy at about any discount store work pretty good. Get the Adirondack style, and cut the legs off to where they are about 6 to 8 inches long. They are more comfortable to me than laying down, and the Adirondack style has a tilted back.

5. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

I want to be able to shoot 360 degrees. My ground blind does this great. Comfortable chair plenty of room. Worked great on honkers.

6. gander_lander34

gander_lander34 Senior Refuge Member

If you want to see what blinds versus whites look like from above, here you go. FYI, I'm not a pro-staffer, nor am I part of this company. However, I have used their blind door decoys, and I will say, I know it made a difference. We shot 30 birds in 3 hours with just two guys.

http://www.whiterockdecoys.com/blinds-vs-whites.html

7. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Poor comparison the image with the white coats they do not have nearly enough decoys around them. That is not a acceptable hide at all.

Scotty and kansasgoose like this.
  8. Hau9358

Hau9358 New Member

I would have to agree. While the layouts look good in the pic it even seems as there are more decoys by them vs the whites

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Can make a comparison between if you like the look of whites versus layout blind and blind doors. I have both but also have a ghillie blanket and padded backboard and we didn't even wear white, just straw over the blanket and we shot 30 specs and snows for 2 guy in couple hours and if we had been 5 miles to east could have shot 20 specs versus 6 specs we shot as is special zone, so don't buy blind doors are end all to be all. I use a couple on my ghillie blanket but blend in and minimal movement are big part of success. We won't hunt with one guy as even in layout has to have his whole head out trying to watch the geese like he is going to miss something.

Bought some Tyvek suits but has when setup for geese to wet to use, one day 40 mile hour winds and rain so I hid in layout blind that day. 2 shots was max that day.

10. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Here is my two cents worth about Arkansas.

1. Your field maybe way to wet to sit on the ground. The ground is like a giant sponge, the more you walk, sit, lay out, the more water comes out. Layouts usually don't work in a rice field.....especially after a small rain.

2. You are hunting a much different field then a SD, ND corn field. You have a dike/access road. It is always angled. Fairly easy hide along the edge of one of those. Usually has more cover off of that road. Place your e-caller and vortex correctly in your spread, the birds will never have their focus even close to you.

3. I agree with Traxion - the worst thing about hunting out of layouts is when the blind doors open, birds have already flared. When off to the side like you can get away with side blind placement, it's not as bad.

Good luck!!!! ANd have fun!!!