Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Layout blinds or white suits?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by johnpaul, Jan 14, 2016.

1. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

blind vs whites.jpg

In my opinion, hiding guys is the #1 most important thing when it comes to successfull spring snow goose hunting, and this was the photo/video that made me believe that.

I can tell ya this photo is a legit comparison for a couple reasons.

#1. I was there, I knew the situations, and I was with 5 experienced snow goose hunters who truly "thought" we were hidden both days.

#2. Both fields were the same type of cover (which was very little) and we had the same number of decoys to work with. Although the wide angle GoPro gives somewhat of a spread out illusion, in both situations the decoys around the hunters felt very close, almost touching, as we were setting the spread. Much closer together than we'd set a midwest corn field spread.

#3. Both days were similar weather. Clouds. Overcast. Just enough wind to fill the socks and get the birds coming from a general direction.

After flying the quadcopter around the spreads and reviewing the footage, we learned more about concealment from these two back-to-back hunts than we ever have.

The biggest thing we learned was in a skinny field, just because you switch to "wearing whites" doesn't mean you're hidden……AT ALL.….no matter how many decoys you have out and how close you place them.

There are a lot of things to think about every time you set a snow spread. Some days you have the advantage. Sun. Snow. Fog. Wind. Shadows. These are your friends! Use them!

The days you have the disadvantage….overcast. calm. low cover. You better be on your game.

You need to note that the angle the birds are approaching at makes a HUGE difference! Snows fly at different heights in Canada in the fall vs MO in the spring. Or on a hot migration day vs a cold snowy feed day. Likewise, the guys in the white's in this photo disappeared from view at lower heights. But there was a very distinct "holy cow there they are altitude". On a different type of day, I have no doubt this set would have worked.

Just like any other trick you've got in your bag, you have to know when to use them and when to pull them. You have to adapt and be willing to work with the situation you're dealt. If you and your group swears by white coats…….or you vow never leave your blinds again…….you're selling yourselves short. Snow goose hunting is undoubtedly the ultimate chess match.

Fun stuff my friends. Good luck this spring!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    hyper23 and CamoHunter870 like this.
  2. juviesoup

juviesoup Senior Refuge Member

30 birds in 3 hours? Wow.... 10 birds an hour. Not knocking your results but once we switched to blankets and whites we've had shoots were we shot 200 birds in a couple hours. White Rock has a decent product but they are using images specifically geared towards their blind door decoys. We used to do the exact same thing and birds flat out know there are blinds there. You can stubble them to the gills, put them door to door, fill the gaps and put decoys on the doors. Birds know that there there, whether right away or not once that door opens its flare mania. With whites your shooting at birds that aren't flaring. Think outside the box a little.

3. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

In the images, the guys in whites have a lot of other apparel that is dark. That stands out a lot more than the whites to me.
    I was in a good situation Tuesday and the cold and wind caused us to decide to use the layouts, we didn't have a goose look at us. We hid them well, in a corn field and stacked decoys all over them and around us. I've personally had much better success with Tyvek whites in Tyvek decoys, especially in a low cut bean or green wheat field.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

1. Most tyvek suits shine like a new penny in the sun.
    2. The larger your hunting party, the more difficult it is to finish snow geese, whites or ground blinds.
    3. Being lower than a snakes *** beats a ground blind.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Dan Mallia likes this.
  5. gander_lander34

gander_lander34 Senior Refuge Member

What I will say is that everyone is entitled to their opinion. It just so happened that our spread worked this day. I also use the term 30 birds in 3 hours loosely. Our shooting, by my own admission, was very sub-par. We should've had 2-3 times that many if we could have connected with what we pulled the trigger on. Additionally, I had my 4 year old with me. Much easier to conceal a 4 year old in a layout blind rather than in the wide open. The other part that was left out, was these results were in a spread of only about 250 decoys, so we had everything in very close proximity. I've hunted both ways (layouts and whites) and at the end of the day, if I can get away with using layouts, I will. It's just one more way to mask movement especially when birds get extremely finicky. If you're from North Dakota, you know exactly what I mean.

6. NC Ducker

NC Ducker Senior Refuge Member

Bingo! Shoot em sideways. The trick is no decoys within 10 yards of the blind. You don't even have to be hidden that good. Backed the blinds up to fuel tanks before with zero brush and they didn't have a clue. They focus so hard on the spread they can't see past the edge of it.

7. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I didn't know that many of y'all still used whites. The only time we use them is when hunting with a larger group and they don't own blankets, but we tend to all use RS blankets. The only way to go.

8. Performance Calls

Performance Calls Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

If the weather is cold it is tough to beat blinds given enough cover. But for siimply killing birds whites typically let you get the first shot off on birds that are not flaring. Watch the video below for the first 4 to 9 seconds. We had 7 guys that day. 5 in blinds and two in whites. Notice the instant black holes when take em is called vs the two guys on the right you barely notice the guns being raised.

The two guys on the right were my Dad and Uncle in there 60's and 70's respectively and we have them on backboards raised up high enough that on most flocks they only have raise there guns to shoot. No sit-up needed to get into shooting position as a layout requires. Something to consider for less nimble hunters.

Sooner or later this will be to hard for them also and we will position off to the side in an A frame style blind. I am
    Sure we may not finish birds as much but who cares as long as ur out there with ur family!

9. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for posting that PC...I'll still be packing a blind just in case, but I'm for sure going to be using whites this season.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  10. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

In that video, I quickly notice the layout blinds before the shot, and when they flip open. The guys in tyvek were less noticeable and when they sat up to shoot it was a lot less alarming or obvious.

Maybe lessers are different, but my experience with snows is they can get out of dodge faster than anything other than a crow, and with a large wingspan for a smaller body, any serious flaring on a good windy snow goose day and instead of a 20 yard shot, your first one may be at 40 and so on....

Tyvek seems to work best on our greaters, especially since we hunt them is a lot of green fields and layouts just look flat out dumb in them.