Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Layout blinds

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Minnesotaoutdoors, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Minnesotaoutdoors

Minnesotaoutdoors New Member

whats the best layout blinds in your opinions? Would like to hear about low profiles and the regular ones. Thanks

2. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Fa xlander and be done

DEADEYE likes this.
  3. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I've got a couple flagden's and some other "fancier" layouts but honestly I prefer the power hunter to all of them. its small light weight, has a relatively low profile and has less stuff to break/ get frozen. I also like the the hood on the power hunter, which I know some people don't.

4. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

No such thing. All depends on how you hunt and where. I have 4 I rotate through, but on average I use my Avery finisher the most, then the Rogers Goose Buster LP, and if its gonna be wet, my cabelas's waterproof one.

5. Minnesotaoutdoors

Minnesotaoutdoors New Member

You like the Rogers LP? I was thinking about getting the Final Approach X-lander

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

My 1st layout was a FA Xlander and overall I was pleased with it. Two drawbacks for me: 1) the doors had no frame and on a windy day, the wind would constantly lift the doors open, 2) This is going to sound silly but it was too low profile. At the time I wore bifocals and looking at working birds through the bottom half of my glasses made the birds nothing but a blur.
    My current layout is a Avery Finisher and I'm more than pleased with it. Very roomy, easy to set up (not as easy as the Xlander) and folds up to a decent size. The entire blind is adjustable as to head height and overall height.

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The Achilles Heel of layout blinds is when muddy conditions or hunting sheet water. After a couple trips in and out of those blinds, you usually look like the second place finisher in a pig wrestling contest.

That's why (in those conditions) we went to the Predator blinds and Fast Grass as a covering. You're elevated above the slop and emptying the lower section is a simple as raising and draining it in less than five seconds.

They also work great in dry field situations which is why we got rid of the type of layouts others are referencing.

Had the MoMarsh Invisiman blinds been available (2003) we likely would have gone with them as well.

8. WITX68

WITX68 New Member

I’ve hunted out of Power hunters, Roger’s goose busters, but I bought a Scheels ultimate deluxe whatever model. I haven’t hunted out of my scheels layout yet, but that sucker is huge.

9. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'm looking for a used layout, something I won't be using much so I really have no preference at the moment.
    I read somewhere that it's hard to wear a billed cap while in a power hunter. Any truth to this ?
    Is opening the one "lid" better or easier than two side "doors" typically found on other models ?

10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Are you using blind door kits on the predators? I am seriously considering either buying several predators, or several final attacks. Ive owned several Power Hunters, and finishers. Anymore, I tend to leave them in the field a couple of weeks at a time. I've been tossing one or two a year for the last few years and am considering something more solid. I am also looking at having a friend weld new ( non collapsable frames) for some old blind.

I own a fe power hunters, but use these strictly as "guest blinds". I just don't like shooting from them....reminds me of shooting from the old goose chairs. .....just seems backward.