Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Layout Boat info

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Green Boat, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Green Boat

Green Boat Elite Refuge Member

If I remember correctly some of you guys are using or have used a layout rig. Can anyone offer some local advise on the pros and cons of these contraptions before I spend even more of my kids college fund.

2. luckyduck2

luckyduck2 Refuge Member

A layout boat
    and have had great success with on sea ducks. Have not tryed on divers yet. If the divers get in here good I plan on hunting them with it.
    charlie

3. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

Green Boat,

I have shot out of a MLB layout a few times. Chiknlips bought his last year and we put it to use for divers and sea ducks. It really makes a difference when the birds are blind shy in the open water. Shooting out of one is pretty exciting and the birds are really up close and personal. Swinging on a bird that is crossing in front of you is impossible. He's there and gone way to fast to even swing. You either just point or wait until you can shoot when the birds are coming at you or going directly away. It can be cold, miserable and lonely too. If the birds are decoying well to the boatblind, we usually leave the layout at home just because we like the atmosphere of hunting out of the boat. With a layout you may get some great shooting but you miss out on the company of your hunting buddies, the joking, the food, and the comfort of shooting from a 19 ft parker. Sometimes we'll set up both the layout boat and the boatblind over the spread instead of using the boat to tender. We have a couple of top notch dogs and layout hunting deprives us of watching them work. With the boatblind set up along with the layout, we get the best of both worlds. It does take extreme caution and I don't think I'd be comfortable hunting this way with anyone I didn't know.

P.S. One more word of caution...don't stand up in the layout to swat your cripples. You will quickly learn just how much recoil is generated from a 3 1/2 inch gun. I have yet to get wet, but I have learned some funky new dance steps trying to stay dry while doing this.

4. WyeBlueStriper

WyeBlueStriper Senior Refuge Member

Put our MLB two man overboard for the first time last week
    Totally changes your perspective on where and how to hunt
    Been getting calls from a few guys desperate to get a go in it once the word got out how much fun it is
    Buy the MLB video/dvd and check it out

5. Green Boat

Green Boat Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Guys
    Is changing gunners from the tender to the layout the hair raising experience I think it is?

6. delducker

delducker Senior Refuge Member

Salisbury Maryland and anywhere on the bay for div
    Just watch the currents and waves, and don't speed up to the layout boat. Hold onto it from the tender, and pass the gun, then other gear and then climb in.