Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Layout boat necessities

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by ARHHH4, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Sodfather

Sodfather New Member

I bought some green plastic fencing (kinda like they use for gardens to keep rabbits out). Then tied fast grass to it. Roll it out and use the boat as a layout blind.

Ringbill and ARHHH4 like this.
  2. Sodfather

Sodfather New Member

I bought some green plastic fencing (kinda like they use for gardens to keep rabbits out). Then tied fast grass to it. Roll it out and use the boat as a layout blind.

3. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Cap holders?

ARHHH4 likes this.
  4. cajunwannabe

cajunwannabe Senior Refuge Member

Old tennis court net cut to cover the cockpit with raffia zip tied to it. This boat is death on ducks.
    Carstens camo.JPG

Ringbill and ARHHH4 like this.
  5. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

How many bundles did that take? Looks really good.

6. Anchovy Andrew

Anchovy Andrew New Member

I just bought a small tub to put into the momarsh from Home Depot. No matter what with the rain, dog climbing in and out my blind bag got soaked completely through. Wet sandwiches suck along with gloves etc. I can throw everything in the tub, it will stay nice and dry and fits directly beside me. An dry box or ammo can would also work.

freefall likes this.
  7. cajunwannabe

cajunwannabe Senior Refuge Member

I recycled it from my buddies boat blind. I'm not sure how many bundles it was. If I had to guess 7 lbs maybe.

8. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I've been layout hunting in marsh boats since I was a teenager over 5 decades ago.
    Most things have been posted already, but a push pole is necessary, and a Kayak
    paddle is handy too. I built a floor board that sits in the bottom of my boats, to
    keep you off the floor. I use 3/8" cedar boards, width can vary and then I use
    small wood screws to screw them to small 1 '' thick cross members underneath the
    cedar boards that run the length of the cockpit area. Once built, you may have to
    trim the edges to fit it into the cockpit ok, but they are nice. Use a high density
    foam camping mat on that and carry the sponge to mop up moisture from within,
    when you get water in the boat.

I like the reclining seat / back rest units but you can always get by with a small back
    board and some boat cushions, which I used for decades until the recently
    discovered reclining seat and back rest combinations. I grass my boat up with #19
    gauge tie wire or use zip ties, which are easier but don't grip and hold the marsh
    grass as well. I also use the plastic fencing and make a 'top cover' that rolls up into a
    cylinder shape for carrying. I tie marsh grass to it and wire a few dowels or old broom handles
    to each end for stability etc ----then one where I need it to support my shotgun.
    It completely covers the cockpit, up to my neck and over the decked end past my feet.
    It completely covers everything inside the boat too.

A very small anchor and short rope on it work well for either picking up decoys in
    a wind and also for anchoring you and your boat in place while hunting, where it's
    needed. Just put a snap clip on it and you can position it wherever you may need to
    use it in the boat. Other than THese things, just wear a facemask and you'll be all
    covered up nicely.

Ringbill

9. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Ringbill. Sounds like you've got many years of experience out of these boogers. I like the 3/8" plank idea.

10. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

In addition to the aforementioned:

1) The biggest sponge you can find
    2) 1 or 2 dry bags to put your stuff in