Layouts painted like Honkers

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by mpkowal, Feb 21, 2018.

1. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Had some time to kill and was on YouTube saw some guys(Yeah pretty much rookies)hunting out of some sort of layout blinds painted like Honkers.Lots of far shots but some pretty close decoying birds.
    They didn't seem to have much cover otherwise. Sloppy but pretty creative.Anyone see this video.Guys name was Bubba 1200,I think.

2. feetdownshooter

feetdownshooter Senior Refuge Member

Glad to see that I am not the only one who when going to kill time and missing hunting season heads to YouTube for videos that being said I've heard of all manner of blinds including small Vehicles painted like geese to hunt out of myself I have never known anyone to do it I use some pretty dang big decoys over the years to kill geese with but have never had the guts to try anything that crazy I myself I have thought if I could get away with it what a great way to disguise yourself in a winter wheat field or where there is no cover the goose hunting purest in me however says that you have to be invisible if at all possible as soon as I say that I think to myself though I know for a fact I could smile and think to myself my dog fits underneath some of these Goose shells and a small child could and when I was younger I used to lay underneath a huge goose shell and basically cover myself so that the birds would not see me in the middle of a winter wheat field or sod farm so there you have it

3. mpkowal

Yeah definitey thinking out of the box is the way to go when there isd no cover.
    These guys had plywood sides on their layout that was supposed to be a goose.It didn' look very good to me BUT the geese finished pretty darn good.Of course they were probably on a pretty hot x.

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Several years ago when canada goose limits were still at 4 ol guy in my area built a super size goose blind from a 12 ' v bow aluminum boat. Formed up the rounded back of bird and made hatches to come thru and shoot. Whole thing was painted up same as a decoy. Had a short neck and head attached. He would drag it into field and set his other field decoys around it. Damnest looking thing you would ever see in a field but he killed geese from it.

5. mpkowal