LDC # 1 bird ,,, spoony Last weekend

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Ducks Bucks&Bulls, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ducks Bucks&Bulls

Ducks Bucks&Bulls Senior Refuge Member

Way to go guys...
    That being the refuge manager and staff with all their input on habitat improvement.
    Thanks for creating all the open water in the best mallard pond on the refuge.
    When you inherited the refuge it was fallow rice fields covered in watergrass.
    Limits of mallards were the rule. You could have saved millions of dollars just leaving it be.
    Wish we could turn the clock back and have a quota of fifty, no blinds and no refills and the 2 day hunt week of Sat & Wed...

freefall, Reverend and candafish like this.
  2. Kurt Baer

Kurt Baer Senior Refuge Member

All those NAWCA grant projects certainly didn't help the hunting that's for sure.

3. lewdogg21

lewdogg21 Senior Refuge Member

Nobody forces people to shoot spoons at ldc.

4. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

True, but it’s certainly a good indicator of habitat. The majestic northern shoveler undoubtedly prefers a different environment than our friend the mallard. There may be some overlap, but a general rule is if you find an abundance of either the other will likely be scarce.

5. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Epic

6. Huntsprig

Huntsprig Elite Refuge Member

I remember the scat Pete Blake caught from some on this forum. :doh

I would love to have him running that place again.

Sweatliner, Ducknest and Dan Mallia like this.
  7. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Pete’s philosophy was to put the pintail habitat in the closed zone......:tu

I have a lot of solid memories of that place. Glad I got to hunt it before the downward spiral it’s taken.

Sweatliner, Dek, freefall and 6 others like this.
  8. Reverend

Reverend Refuge Member

I was there, but don't forget the awesome wood duck shooting in the timber either!

I have a xerox copy of the water management pamphlet that Pete wrote back when he was in the grasslands prior to taking over the LDC project. We follow it verbatim at the club I hunt at and our worst average in the last ten years, (every gun, every shoot day, less than 3% spoonies and divers), is 4.5. I also remember the mallard hunting at Salt Slough in the first two years after Pete left for LDC, it was worthy of DU TV. I guess people have different ideas about how to do things if they think Pete did a bad job.

More to the point it seems is the question of whether LDC is being managed with any thought toward hunter success at all? I know that Pete cared about hunter success with a passion but it seems like the idea was abandoned by every subsequent staff.

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Back around the turn of the century when I was hunting a different club and was buying chemicals, I was offered 1500 lbs of milo and corn seed free (reached its sell by date) and a late CWA board member asked Pete if he wanted it and said he did as he had tractor fuel and personnel but no money for seed. that went on for a couple years. I never had a problem with Pete.

10. theboy

theboy Refuge Member

LDC was even better before it went public. The Schor Ranch was the best place I ever hunted. Just memories now..

Call'em N likes this.