LDC # 1 bird ,,, spoony Last weekend

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Ducks Bucks&Bulls, Dec 26, 2017.

1. EL GURU

EL GURU Senior Refuge Member

Inside joke.... maybe I'm the only guy that remembers TKOM war stories of battling off green heads at LDC in the 70s.:l One of the funnier horse **** stories that I've heard here.... anyway back to the deterioration of our public lands... carry on

hunt'ngreen, freefall and Dan Mallia like this.
  2. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Do you think some of the super clubs and their huge holding areas as of late had any effect on birds on LDC, mainly mallards. Add this to all the other mismanagement and negative changes done that others have spoke of and we have spoonie hole.

Sweatliner likes this.
  3. Ducks Bucks&Bulls

Ducks Bucks&Bulls Senior Refuge Member

Same true of sutter and delevan in the 70's- mid eighties...

4. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

325 was a good day and there were plenty of them.

5. DuckSLu7

DuckSLu7 Senior Refuge Member

LDC still shoots plenty of green--it has just been re-zoned, making it that more elite of a draw if u can *hit * top 10. But FR still hits hard...

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I could be wrong, but I would think that with proper management, that the "super clubs" would actually help the shooting of LDC.

More good habitat surrounding an area, would likely provide more birds in the area, and especially with some weather, birds would move around.

As an example, I know of a decent club bordered by a better club... When that better club started grazing cattle and diminishing their own habitat, both clubs shot more poorly.

From my understanding, the primary cause of the downfall of LDC is diminished (if not poor) habitat, and the second cause (in my opinion) would be increased hunting pressure.

If the habitat was improved at LDC, with wonderful habitat of "super clubs" surrounding it, I would think that LDC would shoot pretty good.

Hearing the talk of those hunting Mendota, that is another atrocity of poor management currently... I know some pretty darned good duck hunters who always do quite well at Mendota, who currently say it is difficult to buy a duck there...

With little understanding, and no evidence... From the talk I hear, the diminished quality of the refuges would seem in large part due to politics... People getting hired to run these refuges based on who they know, and not "what they know."

Add to that increased difficulty with water-management and (from my understanding) decreased funding for habitat management... Things are not looking good.

7. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Always good to get the perspective of those that have never seen the place. Give it time and people from Nevada and Louisiana will chime in with words of wisdom.

8. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Triple digit mallard days used to be the norm, even when it was slow. I’d say that’s the exception now. I know there’s still places that shoot mallards there consistently but you’ll be sharing it with others.

I have countless memories of letting all the crazies run out to their spots and finding a chunk of ground with no hunters and having great hunts. Those spots got “worked” and destroyed, never to be what they once were.

Sweatliner and welborn user like this.
  9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Dan, how much of the decrease mallard take do you think is due to poor habitat, and how much due to the lack of migrating mallards mallards making it down here (as historically seen)?

10. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

This could deserve it's own thread. But the south half of sutter looked like an algae filled cesspool the last time i saw it. I don't see why even a spoony would want to get in there. Maybe that the reason it's shooting so poorly since it had a good day or two at the start of December.