LDC # 1 bird ,,, spoony Last weekend

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Ducks Bucks&Bulls, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

It needs to be year round management. The good clubs get early water and keep the birds there. Refuge doesn’t flood as early as it did before so guess where the mallards are in the beginning?

Once they imprint them they have plenty of sanctuary and light pressure on them. Then they have plenty of feed to keep them coming back to the cafeteria. It all starts with flood up timing, proper irrigation and managing to keep the birds from leaving.

Water depths will vary depending on what you want to accomplish. Early on loafing habitat should have deeper swales, green roundstem/tules and trees. That is loafing area. Then shallower mixed marsh areas should have plenty of moist soil food plants. They can farm for ducks if done right but we just don’t see that done in CA these days. They farm rice to supplement revenue and that habitat could be nesting, brood and molting habitat. If you raise the birds there and provide them all they need then they won’t leave. That is what the clubs are doing that UBB is not.

The $$$ clubs have stolen the birds because UBB management cannot compete with that.Cost drives the reality of what they are willing to do. Abatement costs are offset by rice production revenue. Refuges down where I hunt offset with grazing. It is a reality we live with.

Hard to compete with billionaires who have a hobby that is more like a passion. It won’t ever change.

Kevin

mark seaters and Flyfisher like this.
  2. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

What people don't realize is many big $$ club managers are really good at what they do. They understand habitat and water and depth and different species and what they want and when they want it. They control waterfowl most of the time, they are very good at what they do. They understand pressure on birds and they understand closed zones on their own property and how that will keep birds all season..

3. Flyfisher

I hunted one a couple weeks ago. manager is a wizard.

4. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

They have $$$ to support their addiction. Refuge Managers don’t have the budget to compete with that so they are not willing to do it. It becomes prioritization for them and you see where they put their emphasis.

Biggest thing I see is they don’t imprint them early anymore. It is evident on the opening day totals how much it has changed. You have to produce them and then keep them. Takes money, acreage and lots of water to do that.

Hard to blame Managers with one hand tied behind their back.

5. Flyfisher

Yes and no... in a state that is not CA, a certain refuge manager just got "demoted" due to the lack of effort on the refuge/especially on the hunt side. The assistant has now taken over. Problem solved. A lot of these types of people do just enough, not to get fired. Or are anti hunting.

Tommyo likes this.
  6. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

Let's do the math:

Equation #1:
    Water flows uphill.... towards money.

Equation #2:
    Add water..... get ducks.

Equation #3:
    Fewer hunters...... less government money for public areas.

What does this mean?
    Less investment in public habitat, more investment in private habitat = birds move to private habitat.
    Less water in public areas, more water in private areas = birds move to private areas.

freefall likes this.
  7. Drake Slayer

Drake Slayer Elite Refuge Member

Somewhere standing in stinky water cussing my damn
    The Chalupa is still king at LDC this week.

Mean Gene, Flyfisher and freefall like this.
  8. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

I've come to the conclusion that it's a way bigger issue than having quality habitat on refuges. If the birds have no need for food in the refuge hunt zones... they won't visit. Why would I drive to McDonald's in the ghetto and face gunfire when I have one next door that is safe and serves the same thing?

9. James707

James707 Senior Refuge Member

I was there Sunday and only saw a few spoons.... but I also only saw a few mallards too....

The pond we went to was covered in green algae, and was waist deep in most spots. Not what I would think of as mallard habititat in my uneducated opinion.

10. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

You sure you weren’t at sutter?