Lead shot ban for dove hunting

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by lanthanide, Dec 11, 2014.

1. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

I thought the bald eagle egg shell thinning issue was mainly caused by DDT. At least that was the example used to teach me bio magnification as I recall.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. Kemo Sabe

Kemo Sabe Refuge Member

Excellent post.

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

That is a very apt observation...

The number of casual hunters has greatly declined since my own induction into hunting and shooting (some 40 years ago now).

Used to be a lot of people would buy a license to hunt once or twice a year. With duck hunting currently, there are far more dedicated hunters, and far fewer 2-times per yearers...

Dove hunting still has a large population of shooters who shoot opening weekend and that is about it... The ban on lead will probably push that back immensely.

So when we as hunters start talking about pulling our heads out of the sand, there are two sides to that statement. Pseudo-science studies and a political agenda is what we are facing with the banning of lead.

In California we are facing a universal ban on all lead for hunting. We were one of the last (if not the last) to require steel for ducks... But apparently we are leading the way for the universal ban, and my guess is that the rest of the country will soon follow suit... And target and clay shooting will not be far behind I fear... Less recreational shooters will make for more gun restrictions and will affect gun ownership as well as hunting...

4. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Well if it is to bring about a decline in cassual shooters then perhaps hunter education bassed on facts is whats needed. Because if evrything but steel was banned no way will shooting be in effected.
    its capable is steel shot and there is simply no reason to keep shooting lead into the environment anymore. And keeping doing this just because you can is not the right attitude shooters need to do the right thing if they get recognition for it or not.

Lead is toxic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBzIZUybdCA

5. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

6. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

If I remember correctly 3 #6 lead shot ground up in the gizzard of a duck will pretty much destroy it. So to compensate for how much more you weigh than a duck, we will set up a test where you ingest 1-oz of finely ground up lead shot.

I will need the proper releases from you and your relatives of course.

Afterwards, I'll pay $1,000 to your estate.

Oh, you mean like what happened to the sport of duck hunting?

7. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

^^^^
    This

Yes, anything that affects endangered species becomes a major issue, but science has known since the late 1800's that lead was killing ducks. That was in "The Time of Plenty" when waterfowl numbers seemed inexhaustible so losing a few million a year to lead wasn't a concern. Today we don't have that amount of wetlands habitat to be able to just waste ducks like that.

Since then science has found that there is no safe level of lead in any living creature. Even if it doesn't kill you or make you sick, it certainly shows up in diminished IQ which is self evident on this thread.

8. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Bill, please help all the anti Lead people find their studies of how it will decimate the populations. I am still as of yet to hear ANYMORE answer your question you have posed over and over.

BTW since we are wanting to ban all lead lets make sure we get the lead out of all personal defense loads. Wouldn't want anyone to get Lead poisoning and possibly die

Mayes

9. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Your last sentence says all I need to know about you. I love your High Moral Tone and Intellectual Superiority to the rest of us. While I will give you credit for have a good knowledge base in many areas, but anyone that does not agree with you is not mentally challenged.

Mayes

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've said all along that lead was toxic if ingested. Please try to keep up. The question is, outside of a few specific spots where a number of factors coincide to create a perfect storm, please show me what species has been impacted negatively through the ingestion of spent shot. That's been my question all along, and thus far no one has had an answer. STEEL SHOT IS A SOLUTION SEEKING A PROBLEM!!!

Many duck hunters did drop out. When habitat recovered through nature sending rain, and man doing a bit too through conservation groups and programs like CRP, the duck population grew and more hunters took up the sport. We're still though far short of the old duck hunter numbers.

Ducks though are the perfect game for steel. Most have always shot big shells through big bore guns. Steel is effective when those are combined. There has also always been a solid core of very ardent waterfowl hunters, and those refused to give up their game just because they had to buy a new gun and figure out the vagaries of a new type of ammo.

Very few of our shotgun field sports have as many serious participants. Combine that with casual clay shooters. Sure there are those who take their sport very seriously, but most don't, and those are the folks we really need involved going into the future.

Again, until someone shows me otherwise, I will continue to say that steel in a solution in search of a problem.