Lead shot ban for dove hunting

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by lanthanide, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Seems like more and more people come on here to push an agenda.

Where is this coming from? I've got my ideas...

Not sure how many duck hunters are even on here anymore. Guess there's still a few....

2. deltadukman

deltadukman Senior Refuge Member

Good thing we dont live in the UK.:cool:

In all honesty, our dove fileds change, some stay the same, but we have vast amounts of acres that arent even hunted. Typically one field or duck hole has thousands of acres of non hunted land around, and we sometimes change it up. My personal belief, which has about as much scientific research behind it as the anti lead crowd, is that the EPA has created the lead shot fear as a way to curb cheap ammo sales and backdoor force gun control upon us. But alas, I'm just a dumb redneck from Mississippi, had I been born in Califonia then....then I'd be somebody.

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Good point.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

If it's still there a bird didn't eat it

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Read the links which were posted. All led to the same statement. Nothing new was contained within the statement.

6. bill cooksey

Looks cost effective. Most dove fields are only hunted once or twice per season. Most are also small, and a high percentage of the shot lands outside the field. Often this is in a wooded area. Honestly, Marsh Fox, you'd really have to witness a bit of what we deal with to understand. Hopefully you'll get that opportunity.

7. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

England is smaller i will give you that, but its low in shooters too, my point was it is suprising how much lead shot comes off fields any fields anywhere, obviously some will be less than others but, this is not a recent thing lead wont evaporate its there and it builds and builds over time, some shot will be there from 70 years or more and still building up.
    I can think of one field i hunted for pigeons and crows on a flightline for decades. I must have fired many many thousnds of rounds in that one area, i dare bet there would be millions of such sites accross America with similar criteria present.
    My point is not to try and push for a lead ban ot present a case why one should come about in fact its the exact oposite and in reply to blindog.
    Obviously crops will be rotated etc, but cleaning ground which is possible on dry land and easier than at sea or in rivers would be a way of at least keeping toxic shot from increasing in the environment.
    This can only be viewed as responsable actions by responsable conservationists who care passionatly about their sport and the efects it may be having on their hunting environment and or the specis they hunt or creatures up the food chain who feed off them.
    IF Vthis is eventualy proved to be the case or not is secondary, and at least this way lead wil remain.
    You cant have it all ways you either want lead to stay because it will harm dove hunting, and you should be prepared to do the hard yards to keep lead use in place, or you sit back do nothing and just prove you realy dont give a hot about anything and just want to keep shooting lead.
    There is no free lunches in this day and age by clening up after yourselves you gt to keep lead its a small price to pay i bilieve, and will do only good for the environment by removing old lead build up from decades ago.

8. bill cooksey

I would agree if anyone could show it's causing harm.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Really? What you mean by small? I mean, I've hunted in a 2 acre sunflower patch before, but most our shoots are in large peanut, wheat, or sorghum fields. The biggest hunt I ever been on was in a giant wheat field up near Montgomery, it had to have been at least 3 sections, prolly between 150-200 shooters.

10. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Well i am trying to give practical answers to the toxic shot problem before it does become a problem a real problem.
    The government wont sit back and let hunters spew lead shot into the environment with no restrictions. This way hunters get to be seen to be doing something about the potential problem and reaping some useful revenue or indeed shot for helping with the sport they love.
    Quite how it would be organised to good effect is i feel beyond the scope of this thread and thats regardless of where you live in this world.
    Blindog asked how to keep it, i gave what i think is a way to HELP keep it, so you and your mates can hunt with your old timers guns nd the like.
    Shooters need to put something back here be doing something proactive to help with the environment and the toxic shot we shoot.
    We all agree its Toxic that one fact we are uniform on.
    Now would not cleaning up at least some of the toxic waste from our pastime where it is practical, not be the right and responsible thing to do.
    Regardless of it its been proved to harm doves or not.
    And please dont anyone try and say this is asecondary issue because it is directly linked to trying to keep lead shot use in dove hunting in place.